New Contributor

I am appalled by the amount of food being wasted by the chef presenting the Prepology 4-piece Polka Dot Paring Set this morning. He is taking all of the food he demos with the knife and dumping it directly into the trash can. Is there some reason that beautiful fresh food can't be used for something else or donated to those in need? If QVC is allowing this, how much of the other food they present on air is being wasted? Come on QVC, let's get with the times and realize there are people just outside of Studio Park who have nothing to eat!

Super Contributor

I didn't see the program but local health laws may prevent them from being able to give cut food to an outside agency. They probably could give any that hadn't been tampered with but I don't think anyone would take, for example, a sliced cucumber or tomato.

I agree, though, it does seem to be a waste. If they put it out on a tray or plate, the staff and crew would probably be happy to snack on it.

New Contributor

Shar, that is a great point. Like you said though, they could at least put it out for staff to snack on or take home to use in their own meals. I just hate seeing food go to waste when so many people struggle to put food on their own tables. Thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

I did not see this particular show, but, I would expect that most times the food has sat under hot studio lights long enough to no longer be the best quality. Who knows what pests may/may not have crawled over it before the lights come up for the presentation. And I agree that laws most likely prevent the foods from being donated. JMO

"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

The knife presentation? Wait! What food? The raw eggplants?

Respected Contributor
I have to agree with Pashar and Snickster. The set is not a restaurant setting by any stretch.....but when they present the prepared foods (the ones you see the hosts sampling), I bet the staff has a field day! Poodlepet
Super Contributor

That is one thing that really bothers me about the all day food shows as well as the 2 or 3-hour food fests ... I think they could do it once and then for the next presentation, just show a "recorded earlier" presentation ...

I know they have a large crew with mouths watering waiting to get at the food ... but all of the cookies, candies, breads, not to mention whole hams, burgers, chicken breasts, lobster, side dishes and all the dishes they prepare just to sell a cookbook ... I think they go way overboard to make a sale ...

The QVC biggies need to come together and find a better way ...

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Honored Contributor

I share your concern; it does appear these programs waste a lot of food. They should let staff take home leftovers in their Lock 'n Lock containers. Of course, if David or Sharon are hosting, there may not be much left over.

Honored Contributor

I believe others have chimed in before that much of the food they make is not "edible" because it has been treated with products to make it appear more "yummy", like they do with food styling in magazines. There are a lot of products with chemicals to give the browned appearance, a glaze on top, or to preserve the appearance of juiciness/freshness of certain items.

Honored Contributor

I volunteered at our local food pantry about a month ago. Our group's job was to re-package all of the donated food into smaller containers/baggies.

We had a truckload of eggs to put into cartons of 6. We threw out more eggs than we saved. Any egg that couldn't be cleaned or had the slightest crack had to be tossed.

This was the same thing with all the other food. We tossed so much it was eye opening and sad.

The rules for food are extremely strict.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN