Respected Contributor

David's recipe for cinnamon roll bread pudding - question

Store bought cinnamon rolls usually always have frosting on them. Do you think a little frosting would ruin the recipe? I suppose one could scrape it off first. It looks and sounds delicious, especially with the cream cheese.

The ingredients list:

• 3 cups half-and-half
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1–1/2 lbs store-bought, already baked cinnamon rolls, cut into 2" pieces
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1" pieces
  • 4 oz cream cheese, cut into 1/2" pieces
  • Maple syrup, for drizzling
Respected Contributor

Re: David's recipe for cinnamon roll bread pudding - question

It won't matter about the frosting on the cinnamon rolls it just adds to the goodness!!! Here is a version I made up, instead of paying $5.99 a serving at a restaurant in town. Sooo Goood!!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding

8 large Cinnamon rolls or Danish (I buy the cheap ready to eat kind)

2 cups of half and half

2 eggs

1/4 to 1/2 c of sugar

1/2 t vanilla

I cut the rolls into cubes and pack them in a greased 8 x 8 pan.

Mix up the half and half, eggs, sugar and vanilla, pour over the cubed rolls.

Use a fork to poke the cubes under the mixture. Let it soak in.

Place this pan in a larger 9 x 13 in pan, and place in the oven. Pour water into the

bigger pan to make a water bath. Bake at 350* for 1 hour. Take out and make a rum and butter sauce to put on it.

Respected Contributor

The restaurant in town that makes the bread pudding, makes their sauce with sugar, butter and rum. All mixed up in the mixer. It isn't served warm. I'd rather have it warm.

I'd just mix up 1 c sugar, 3/4 c half and half or cream, and 1/2 c butter. Just heat til the sauce is warm and put in about 1 T of white rum.

Respected Contributor

Thank you Barbara. Nice to have the smaller recipe plus adding in some apple and cream cheese would work, too. The butter rum sauce also sounds better than using maple syrup. Rum makes everything better!

Thanks again for taking the time to post your recipe. I'm going to make it!

Esteemed Contributor

Bread pudding is one dish where you can really control the sweetness.

I'd leave out the icing from the rolls but that's just a preference.

I make a separate confectioner's sugar glaze with brandy to pour over the top when serving because that's usually what's on hand.

Respected Contributor

Walmart use to sell 8 large frosted cinnamon rolls or Danish in a tray, ready to eat.

Honored Contributor

I might just make a pan of pillsbury rolls, and omit the frosting, or use it to drizzle on after.

I have had a Cinnaroll Bread Pudding at a bakery once, and didn't enjoy it as much as SAY'S Bread Pudding (from Foster's Market cookbook) with the Whiskey sauce. I don't drink, or add the whiskey to drizzle, but I make a caramel sauce that is killer . Say's bread pudding is the best I ever had in my life. I would make it, and get requests for it all the time.. The cinnamon rolls made the bread pudding too soggy for my tastes. But it sounds good. The smell has to be heavenly!!

Respected Contributor

Barbara's recipe looks like it would be less soggy than David's. I bought everything to make it which I'm about to do right now.

Respected Contributor

I thought I should report back that the bread pudding (Barb's recipe) turned out just about perfect. I used the lesser (1/4) cup of sugar but wish I'd cut it back more and cut back the sugar for the rum sauce (recipe I found online). I think the sweetness already in the cinnamon rolls was almost plenty.

I also added chunks of apple, about 1 1/2 cups which turned out to be a delightful addition. I didn't have any cream cheese to add in, as David's recipe called for.

Anyway, except for it being a little too sweet, the consistency (creamy yet with some firmness) and flavors are perfect.

Respected Contributor

Glad it turned out for you!!!!

What brand of Cinnamon Rolls did you use??