Honored Contributor

Commitment overload. Does anyone else do this to themselves? I need to stop volunteering.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

This weekend I need to make:

1 devil's food layer cake (layers are done)

1 carrot cake

2 zucchini quiches

2 spinach/feta quiches

24 cupcakes

2 dozen hard boiled eggs (done)

1 plate of cheese and crackers

1 fruit platter

It's hubby's birthday weekend and we have so many things planned. I don't know how I get myself into these situations.

I have pretty much ZERO freezer space right now. Which of those things can I make tonight and tomorrow morning, when I need them for Sunday?

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Commitment overload. Does anyone else do this to themselves? I need to stop volunteering.

You're a volunteer. You can always say no.

I volunteer for the farmers market. I'm the Wine Coordinator as well as an Info volunteer.

I overextend myself during the wine events

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

Re: Commitment overload. Does anyone else do this to themselves? I need to stop volunteering.

You're allowing people to take advantage of you.

For this list get some of the things locally (Costco has some good bakery items for example).

Then post it in a prominent place the receipts for the ones you bought plus a note with all the time and $$$ (ingredients, home utilities etc) spent on the ones you prepared.

Look at those the next time you have the urge to over extend yourself.Smile

Honored Contributor

How could you possibly do all this, post as many posts as you do, take care of a family and worry about having so many relatives coming through your area? WHERE on earth would you find time for all of this? {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} OVER EXTENDED? I would think that would be an understatement. My next question is: WHY?

Respected Contributor

You sound like me a few years ago. Please learn how to say "no". I know your hands are full taking care of your DH, DS and also your elderly parents with working a full-time job. Guess what I learned? When I was finally able to decline a request, they always found someone else who would volunteer. Being the kind of person who enjoys "helping", as you obviously are, I never wanted to let anyone down. Maybe you could limit yourself to one extra volunteer activity each month and save some time for yourself. Your list for this week-end would send me immediately to Costco to fulfill this very lengthy cooking time in the kitchen. You sound like a gem of a volunteer, and I know that they know they can always count on you. Good luck!!!

Honored Contributor

Funny thing....if I proclaimed I was ""donating $50 to my local food bank & it makes me feel so good!!!"" I would have some posters say I was bragging. (See: paying it forward thread). My sister is like that....she looks upon her full day planner to qualify her self worth. Sad.

Contributor

On 9/19/2014 Sooner said:

How could you possibly do all this, post as many posts as you do, take care of a family and worry about having so many relatives coming through your area? WHERE on earth would you find time for all of this? {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} OVER EXTENDED? I would think that would be an understatement. My next question is: WHY?

For the attention. I don't feel sorry nor give sympathy to people who bring these things upon themselves.
Valued Contributor

On 9/19/2014 GracieB said:

For the attention. I don't feel sorry nor give sympathy to people who bring these things upon themselves.

Not crazy myself about people who publicize their own good works but this sounds like a different case. She's asking advice.

Honored Contributor

On 9/19/2014 spindlegirl said:
On 9/19/2014 GracieB said:

Not crazy myself about people who publicize their own good works but this sounds like a different case. She's asking advice.

Youre right...she was asking for advice. Just purchase everything. Boom. Done.

Honored Contributor

Why oh why oh why oh why do I continue to open myself up to the wrath of some of you meanies? Why do some of you, like Gracie and Sooner, have to turn every thread into a battle scene? If you don't have something constructive to say can't you just sit on your hands? Some of us are here to learn from each other and support each other and some of you are here just to antagonize and find fault.

I'd love to say this is my last post, but there are so many wonderful people on the boards. It's too bad that a few of you have to be Negative Nellies.

I'm going to sit on my own hands now. If you want to turn this into an ugly, judgmental thread, then go ahead.

~ house cat ~