Super Contributor

I am thinking about getting a new stand mixer to replace my very, very old one. The reviews I've read on Amazon aren't too kind to the KitchenAid so I looked further and found a Bosch mixer that got great reviews. It is, however, somewhat pricey.

Anyone here have a Bosch? If so, in your opinion, is it worth the extra $'s? Are there any attachments you bought that you now think are a waste of money? Any input would be appreciated. TIA

Honored Contributor

KitchenAid just isn't at all what it used to be. For that reason, if I WERE in the market for a stand mixer (I honestly have no need for one), I would choose either Bosch or Viking.

Trusted Contributor

I looked at the Bosch and decided upon the Ankarsrum (aka Electrolux, aka Magic Mill, aka DLX) which I prefer as it has a better motor and bowl. These mixers' strength is in making large quantities' of break. For cakes and quick breads, the higher-end KA remains the best (I have three I use for almost everything but bread and triple batches of cookie dough).

Honored Contributor

I like my Cuisinart bought at Bed and Bath with a 20% off coupon. Kitchen Aids are pretty, but, sold mine for 100. LOL

Valued Contributor

My KA is almost 40 years old, don't know what I'll do if it dies. Nothing is made to last anymore. Back then I purchased to replace the KA from my MIL that had to be that old.

Respected Contributor

Bosch is a pretty well known brand for quality. I saw a mixer of some sort at Costco the other day. Didn't stop and check it out as I have too much stuff now.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I haven't heard any complaints from Bosch users but like KYToby I chose the Ankarsum. It's an incredible mixer. I use mine for everything I bake.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor
On 9/20/2014 jaxs mom said:

I haven't heard any complaints from Bosch users but like KYToby I chose the Ankarsum. It's an incredible mixer. I use mine for everything I bake.

My wheat grinder and dehydrator are both Magic Mill and I've had them for over 20 years so even tho the name's been changed I'll assume they're quality products.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

The names are confusing because there has been stand alone grain mills with the name magic mill that are not manufactured by the same company in Sweden as makes the DLX/Magic Mill/Assistent/Ankarsrum mixer. I'm not familiar with the dehydrator by that name. The issue is the mixers importer into the US have changed the name. It's just called the Assistent in Europe and I'm only aware of them making attachments for the mixer not stand alone appliances but I'm not an expert on it.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor
On the advice of Consumer Reports, when we replaced our primary residence appliances ( range, dishwasher, side by side fridge), we went with Bosch. Long story short, I am on a first name basis with the repairman and the service dept where we bought the appliances from. I'm glad we took out extended warranties. The only appliance that has given me minimal trouble is the range and when we renovate the kitchen in our weekend place, we will buy another one because it is so well insulated. I don't know about the Bosch small appliances, other than they have a high price tag: to be on the safe side, I would get an extended warranty. I used to think extended warranties were a waste of money, but thanks to Bosch, I don't anymore. Poodlepet