Contributor
When your recipe calls for bay leaves do you put it in? I just skip over it in the recipes, but now I wonder if it does make a difference. What is your experience with the taste?
Respected Contributor

Yes, of course you put bay leaves in if the recipe calls for it. Why wouldn't you? I mean if the recipe calls for basil, do you leave it out?

Bay leaves are wonderful. Try it that's the only way you'll learn to cook. Taste & experiment.

Honored Contributor

Oh I always add more bay leaves than the recipe calls for. I love the taste of my sauces with bay leaves added!

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor
You bet I do! My Mom always used them in pot roast, so I do too. I get a bag at Penzey's when I need them.
Honored Contributor

Yes, always use bay leaves when recipes call for them. They add wonderful flavor to many dishes. If they are on the small side, I do add at least 1 more than called for in the recipe. I also get them in bags from Penzey's Spices.

"To each their own, in all things".
Contributor
The idea of having to find it and remove it did not seem like it is worth it. As far as other spices go, I don't always use what is in the recipe and change the recipe to my taste.
Contributor
Now I will try it, thanks for your answers.
Honored Contributor

Yes of course I do. I like the flavor of bay leaves.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 nec111 said: The idea of having to find it and remove it did not seem like it is worth it. As far as other spices go, I don't always use what is in the recipe and change the recipe to my taste.

I always make a recipe as written the first time and then makes changes if necessary. You are missing out on a lot of flavors that are out there.

Esteemed Contributor

I have bay leaves from Penzeys and Costco. I always have them in the kitchen, and they get used frequently.

I can't tell the difference when I do or don't use them.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.