Honored Contributor

Out of eggs? Use mayo as a meatloaf binder.

I was out of eggs when I made last night's meatloaf. So I googled egg substitute for meatloaf and mayonnaise came up more than anything else. Plus, I had it on hand. Two large rounded tablespoons worked for 1 1/2 lbs meat, along with the usual bread crumbs, etc. It held together beautifully, right now I'm enjoying a cold meatloaf sandwhich for brunch. I know some of you hate mayonnaise, but I don't think Miracle Whip would work.

Honored Contributor

Re: Out of eggs? Use mayo as a meatloaf binder.

Miracle Whip.....ick. Yeah, I can see how Mayo would work in a meat loaf. Good to know.

Honored Contributor

So, I'm supposed to add fat to the leaner ground beef that I paid extra for? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

If using mayo works, great ... but .... No thanks. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

Well I do like knowing what substitutes to use but I think I would take mine runny over having even a teaspoon of Mayo/Miracle Whip. Not a fan.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Great tip! I make meat loaf lots. I may try it even if I have the eggs. Just made my husband a meat loaf sandwich for lunch yesterday - yum (served with mayo). Thanks.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the tip! I like both mayo and Miracle Whip and I think I will try both.

Honored Contributor

Don't add fat! You don't need anything like that. I make meatloaf all the time with only salsa and GOOD ground beef. Add bread crumbs if you want, moisten them with a little milk if you like softer meat loaf.

Super Contributor

Good piece of info . thanks

Contributor

I know we all grew up being told to avoid fat, but it turns out that for many of us (maybe not absolutely everyone) eating fat does not make us fat, it's sugar and carbs. At age 60, just a few years ago, I found the book "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It", went low carb, and quickly lost 60 pounds. So a little mayo in my meatloaf is just fine with me.

Honored Contributor

I would think that mayo would add more fat to an already fatty meat, and once heated, melts, so don't see how it would hold anything together.