Frequent Contributor

My new (old) house has a bread drawer in the kitchen. You know, the really big, really deep drawer, with a sliding tin over the top? The sides and bottom of mine are made out of wood, but I've seen them made completely out of tin. Maybe it's not tin, but I don't really know what the material is.

Anyway, I wonder, does anyone actually use this type of drawer to store bread? If not, what do you use it for? I am using mine to store kitchen gadgets since I don't have that much bread!

Anyone have any other ideas on what I can use it for?

Honored Contributor

We have those and have a number of tall plastic storage containers for: flour, brown rice, oatmeal, baking chocolate and cocoa, popcorn, etc. We also put chips in them if we have chips, grits, etc. They are wonderful! Everything is labeled on top and neat.

Super Contributor

Our house which was built in 1967 has the wood bread drawer with the sliding lid over top and we use it all the time to store our bread.

Honored Contributor

I WISH I still had one! I did once. I used it for bread, and everyone knew that's where it was. After we moved here, I tried to find a bread holder that I liked. I looked and looked at all of the major catalogs and sites. Finally, one day I was in CVS, and found a simple wooden one marked way down. It's perfect! Smile

Esteemed Contributor

The house I grew up in had a bread drawer. We used it frequently. My parents got rid of that section of the kitchen when they remodeled 10 years ago.

I don't know if they used it when my brother and I left.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Wow, I'd forgotten all about the bread drawer in the home where I grew up. Brings back memories.

I'd probably do as you, store my extensive collection of kitchen gadgets. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Denise
Honored Contributor

Use it for hiding items that you frequently use, and that take up counter space.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Ours isn't a bread drawer officially--it is a big drawer. I have never heard of a bread drawer nor seen one where we live before this thread about them.

Valued Contributor

howaboutthis:

I have a huge "bread" drawer in my center island which I use to store bread, english muffins, cookies, containers of pretzels, crackers, etc. I have a large square basket in one corner where I keep the smaller things...cough drops, small boxes of raisins and other things that would get lost if just thrown in the big drawer. Also in that draw are plastic containers holding things that my grandsons like to snack on, M&M, Goldfish, Hershey Kisses, etc., so they can help themselves when they're here. Every once in a while I do a major purge and because the draw is to big (32x20x8) find things I forgot I put in there (packets of gum, breath mints, etc.)...it's a veritable treasure hunt at times...lol.

Mine is not a true bread drawer as yours is (with the slide back top) but I'm so glad my kitchen planner gave me the option to do a large drawer in the island...it's one of my favorite features in my kitchen.

Maria

Respected Contributor
I used to have one, and I miss it. I used it for bread, bagels, cookies, chips, crackers, etc. Now I have all that shoved in the stupid corner cabinet with the lazy Susan, and I can't find anything!