Honored Contributor

Keeping lunch foods hot, and not using microwaves

I just ran across a video about taking hot foods to work, and keeping them warm without using a microwave. I was unaware until recently that there are many people with concerns about the safety of microwaves (I thought all that had been forgotten since the 1970's). The object of this video was to show you products that you could put hot food in at home, and keep it hot till lunch. Having hot food at lunch for my husband has been a problem in the past, as he had no access to a microwave for many years.

The products touted in this video were the stainless steel thermos type containers. I have used these in the past, and in my experience, the food doesn't stay hot, even when put in boiling. I consider the possibility of food poisoning to be a bigger threat than the use of the microwave in this instance.

I have used glass lined thermos bottles that perform much better, and keep liquids and soups hot, much longer, but the stainless ones don't work, in my experiences. And if the food isn't basically a liquid, it doesn't maintain the heat for very long in anything.

What types of products have you tried to send off hot food, that keep them hot for at least the 5 hours or so till lunchtime?

Respected Contributor

Re: Keeping lunch foods hot, and not using microwaves

The Lunch Crock is wonderful. I bought mine at Amazon. Just plug it in about 30-45 minutes before lunch and your food is perfectly heated.

Crock-Pot SCCPLC200-G 20-Ounce Lunch Crock Food Warmer, Black

Respected Contributor

Gee, thanks; I'm really glad I read this! I just ordered a Lunch Crock & will get it on Wed.
Respected Contributor

I'll stick with the microwave myself. I do know with stainless if you put boiling water in the thermos for 10-15 minutes you well get better results.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

On 9/13/2014 santorini said:

The Lunch Crock is wonderful. I bought mine at Amazon. Just plug it in about 30-45 minutes before lunch and your food is perfectly heated.

What kind of containers do you use in this?

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

It has a removable metal container inside & you just dump whatever you want to warm up into that.
Honored Contributor

I have that little crock pot and LOVE it! Food gets hot and still stays moist, but you don't really smell it cooking--which is a plus!

Respected Contributor

On 9/14/2014 debc said:
On 9/13/2014 santorini said:

What kind of containers do you use in this?

It comes with a metal container and a plastic lid inside. The instructions say to leave the plastic lid on while heating, but I don't. I can't smell anything while it's heating. When I'm ready, I just remove the black top, use napkins to pull out the hot metal container and enjoy my lunch. There is really no need to remove the metal container except for washing (after each use, obviously), but I've just gotten in the habit of pulling it out of the heater before eating. I unplug it after every use since there is no on/off switch.

It is really good for soup, but I've also heated things like quesadillas and sandwiches. The container isn't huge, so things will have to be cut into smaller pieces before heating. I hope you love your lunch Crock when you get it! Smile

Super Contributor

I have a ms bento that I use all the time for my lunch. I pre-warm it with boiling water and I make sure everything is hot when it goes in. If I eat my lunch early the soup portion is frequently too hot to eat. I pack it about 10am and eat about 2.
Honored Contributor

I have a 16 oz. stainless steel Thermos brand container that I bought from Amazon. It was a bit pricey at $25, I think, but I use it every day. I take coffee to work every day and sometimes I don't get to drink it until late afternoon. It stays hot and because it's a screw on lid it never, ever leaks in my bag. I use it for soup and other warm foods. I love it, but that Crock Pot sure looks nice, too!

~ house cat ~