Trusted Contributor

Is there an easy way to skim off fat?

Hi everyone, Does anyone know an easy way to skim off fat from pan juices? I have never really been too good at it,but I love sauces,gravies,etc. Any and all help appreciated! Thanks.
Honored Contributor

Re: Is there an easy way to skim off fat?

Growing up, my mom used to put pan juices in a bowl & stick in the refrigerator for an hour/so, then skim off.

Valued Contributor

Hi 2zbeach,

I usually pour the drippings into a fat separator measuring cup.

Trusted Contributor

I have a measuring cup that has the spout on the bottom of the cup. It is made for removing the fat from the pan juices or broth. Pour the entire amount of pan juices into the cup and let it sit for a while until the fat rises to the top. Then carefully pour the juices back into the pan. It siphons from the bottom of the cup and the fat stays on the top layer. Pour off the broth and leave the fat layer in the cup.

BTW, mine is about 1 1/2 cup capacity.

Respected Contributor

If I don't need it right away, I refrigerate it overnight. The fat congeals when it gets cold so you can just pick it right up. Otherwise the fat separator that LoLa mentioned. In a pinch, I've just lightly swept a clean coffee filter or thick paper towel across the top of the liquid to absorb some of the fat.

Super Contributor

I went to a cooking class many years ago and the chef would put a paper towel on top of the soup, gravy, etc. for one or two seconds and this pulled off most of the grease. Several tries will get it all off....It does work if you are in a hurry...

Honored Contributor

I like the fat separator measuring cup, but years ago I ended up with something called a "fat mop". I don't know where it came from - a Pampered Chef gathering or school fundraiser? Anyway, it's a little mop that draws up/wicks away the grease/fat as you skim it over your pan juices. Rinse with hot water and clean with hot soapy water or in the dishwasher.

Esteemed Contributor

2z, I hope you don't mind me sharing a funny story in your thread. The suggestions everyone gave you are great ones, so I can't suggest anything else.

In the winter, I used to make ox tail stew. On the first day, I cook the tails and refrigerate the pot. The next day, I remove the fat layer (very thick) and cook the stew.

I was waiting for the pot to cool down so I could move it to the fridge on Day 1. DH came home and ate most of what was in the pot! He said it was the best stew ever {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

On 9/12/2014 VCamp2748 said:

If I don't need it right away, I refrigerate it overnight. The fat congeals when it gets cold so you can just pick it right up. Otherwise the fat separator that LoLa mentioned. In a pinch, I've just lightly swept a clean coffee filter or thick paper towel across the top of the liquid to absorb some of the fat.

Great question, OP. I have used that fat separator measuring cup, but mine is plastic, and I don't like to put warm liquids in plastic.

I usually refrigerate overnight, but sometimes it's difficult to peel off the fat. It flakes up and breaks up. I'd like to get it all, but I do get most.

Great idea about the coffee filter or paper towel. I once saw someone press paper towels down on top of a greasy pizza! It was still loaded with fat, of course, but a little less.

Respected Contributor

When I want chicken broth, I cook boil the chicken in water with seasonings. Remove the chicken and bring the broth to room temp and then put in the fridge over night. I can make gravy or soup the next day. I use a spoon to remove the hardened fat. It's simple and much less fat.