Respected Contributor

Hey it's September - What's Cooking???

I can't do the graphics - sorry about that - but didn't want to wait to get this started - I believe Soushi is in WVa - hope she and her Dh are having a great time.

Am fixing a HUGE chicken breast - boneless - in the cooker with onions and cut up potatoes. As a side will have veggies fixed in a WOK - love them that way.

Have been super busy today and tomorrow is another busy day. Sigh.

Am very unhappy due to our drought problem what our local water company is doing to us - not just our water company but most of the water companies and I personally think it is a time they are going to gouge their customers and it will continue. A biggie is we must cut down 20 percent in usage - have no clue how I can do that as I have a displaced family staying with me. Also they are adding a water meter charge - EACH MONTH - based on the size pipe you have AND of course the rates are increasing. Fines are astronomical and I spent a while in tears but decided that accomplished nothing. Get me out of this greedy state. Other ideas they had - I remember the drought we had in the 70s and still abide by things they put in place then and they are also including those. But it will not be enough for these greedy souls. They actually said in their dissertation the color from grass has gone from green to yellow. I am soooooooooooo upset. By the way this summer, sewer, gas, electricity AND trash pick up have all had increases which are very high.

Hope all have a great day.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hey it's September - What's Cooking???

Winifred Thanx for starting September, I feel for you & the things going on with water, etc, the politicians are making our lives miserable, sorry to say & it seems we're held captive, my only recourse is to not vote for any incumbent, my own way of "term limits" as the court in Illinois turned down our petitions to have it put on the ballot, no surprise there, what has happend to "we the people"? well off my soap box, tonite was leftovers from the neighbors bbq yesterday, (I made that "pink stuff" as it was short notice & that's quick & easy) sure was welcome after all day dealing with the passengers at O'Hare

Hope you're having a good time Sushi & will be back soon

Take Care

Trusted Contributor

Hi Winifred! After the fall-like weather part of last week, the temperature in my area hit 101° today. Athough our situation in no way compares to yours, we also need rain. I really feel for you and the squeeze that's being put on your purse because of drought measures CA has instituted. I will say a prayer for rain and better days ahead for you........ Can't create paragraphs on this tablet so the best I can do is se a series of periods. Smiley Surprised( I still haven't done much at cooking. The employees at my fav chinese restaurant know me and what I want to order; Golden Corral and Applebee's also see a lot of me. But I did bake some cod and salmon along with some roasted veggies which I enjoyed. Have you ever seen a YELLOW zucchini?! They were a golden yellow like a ripe banana. There are several recipes that I have gotten from this Kitchen & Food forum that I will be attempting when I really get back into cooking. There was one posted that I copied today for Maryland Crab Lasagna that I'm anxious to try-- except that I intend to use additional seafood. And of course, soups!!! ..................... Well, you take care and try not to worry. The Almighty will see you through these tough times.
Frequent Contributor

Rachel Ray's "Chicken Mug Pie" except I made ours in the crock pot!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chicken-mug-pie-recipe.html

It's a hot hot day, but I was craving it & had the ingredients.

And, I hear ya about the drought problem! It's AWFUL & depressing in so many ways.

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Thanks for starting us, W. Just home late afternoon yesterday. Last night was sandwiches of sliced chicken. Still unpacking and tired.
Valued Contributor

Morning all,

Looks like another beautiful day. DH just left for golf and we have plans tonight for dinner with friends.

Strange, we changed out the bird feeder with some high quality seed from specialty store, and no birds. No sparrows which is good, they would swoop down and clean out the feeder quickly.

Bought 6 lbs of hamburger from Costco's that I will repackage and freeze today. Good sale, $4 off the package. And their hamburger is good quality too.

Hope everyone is doing well. Please post, even you lurkers, we love company.

Respected Contributor

Soushi, glad you and your DH made it back home safe and sound. Also hope you have rested.

Got hotter and more humid AGAIN here. Golly darn for a couple days it was almost super nice. The experts say Sunday and Monday we will be cooler AND there will be a lot of rain. Water is a touchy subject to me - I cannot even have a bird bath any more. If a neighbor says I do and I get reported it is a $500 fine for each day I am not following orders. I may have mentioned but we are ORDERED to turn our grass from green to yellow - lots more but I am sooooooo upset over this entire thing. They have added lots of $$ to our bills and those additions go through 2019 even if the drought ends tomorrow. What a racket. Let me OUT of this greedy state.

Am fixing a roast with onions in the slow cooker. Also collards and we will have corn on the cob AND the rest of the macaroni salad. I do not have potatoes - imagine that.

Hope all had a great day = stay cool.

Honored Contributor

We're at the peak of our hot season. Don't feel like cooking much. A lot of takeout until the temps cool down.

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."