Respected Contributor

Have you cut back on buying cooking appliances or gadgets you use a few times

then you don't use them? I try not to watch the cooking shows because I see something, and think I really need it. This is really hard, then I say to myself, you're not going to use it that much, so don't order it. My hubby just took my bread maker, electric pressure cooker and big George Foreman Grill out to the storage building. (They will never see the light of day again other than going to the yard sale.)

I now make my yeast breads the old fashion way and use my dutch oven as a slow cooker. Put it in the oven and forget it for a while to cook the meat til it is tender.

I'm trying to go back to doing things the old way, before all the fancy cooking appliances came on the scene. I will still use my microwave and KA Mixer. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you cut back on buying cooking appliances or gadgets you use a few times

I never know which ones will not be used until I get them. I thought and thought before I got my digital pressure cooker and am glad I got it. I use it at least once a week. I got an ice cream maker and thought for sure I would use it a lot and after the first year forgot about it. My yonanna is one of my favorites and I use it a lot but thought I wouldn't. I still use my bread machine which was one of the first to come out but only to do the dough. The reason I end up not using something is because of lack of storage and it's just too much trouble to get a gadget or appliance out. I will still keep buying new and interesting things since if something can make my life easier it's worth the gamble.

Respected Contributor

Re: Have you cut back on buying cooking appliances or gadgets you use a few times

I go through phases of what I use the most. If I don't use something in 3 years I give it to my SIL for their yearly cancer yard sale. Sometimes she keeps it awhile to see if she wants it.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Yes, no more space, lol, and I know what kind of foods we like and how we like them cooked, so I now have all the appliances/gadgets I need for those purposes.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I try but am not always successful. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} Had to sit on my hands yesterday not to buy the MCM egg cooker and the Lock & Lock bowls with handles, LOL.

I'd probably say well over 1/2 of the things I've bought are regularly used.

I just need to stay away from all the "chopper/mandoline" items and stick to my trusty 'ole inherited Oscar mini-food processor.

Recently thought about a bread baker and deep fryer and then remind myself I got rid of those 10 yrs. ago before my move to FL because they were seldom used...

Denise
Honored Contributor

I really don't have any we don't use. I don't use the crock pot often, but do use it. I use the bread maker a couple of times a week; use the food processor probably once a week; use the mixer ever couple of weeks; use a coffee maker every day (we have a keurig hubby uses, a Nespresso I use for iced coffee, and another grind and brew--and we use them all); use a pressure cooker occasionally and I don't regret that I have it; and wouldn't give up the egg cooker! The egg cooker is a cheap and wonderful item!

Respected Contributor

Sooner...shame on you! LOL You've just sold me on the egg cooker. DH wanted it for hard boiled eggs (his famous potato salad) and omelets and I love poached eggs.

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

Barbara, I stopped doing that, for the most part, after my Quesadilla Maker. I go back to the cast iron, grill pans, dutch ovens and buffet casseroles every single time.

I had a serious fetish for slicers. I don't know why because you still have to cut the produce small enough. After a few uses, I always went back to my favorite knife.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I try to only buy multipurpose tools, electric pressure cooker, blender, food processor, things like that.

Honored Contributor

I used to buy the gadgets thinking I was going to use them, but reality set in after I got them home. I no longer buy gadgets.