Super Contributor
Mary Beth said gluten free is healthier eating. From what I've read, it's healthier for those with celac disease. All the rest of us need gluten.
Honored Contributor
Actually, we don't need gluten. But only people who have Celiac disease have adverse effects, they must eliminate it entirely to avoid intestinal damage. But anyone can go gluten free without harming their health. Gluten sensitivity, which cannot be proven is popular now. Some docs think it exists, some don't. It's one google.com self diagnosis that is harmless.
Contributor

Not really- I agree. Our diets are laced with gluten- I am intolerant and can have some but not much. Read food labels and you will find gluten is used as a filler in a ton of food products- we get an overabundance of it in most of our diets-

That is why people have been having problems is because of lot of prepared foods have it in it and our bodies were not designed to eat that much

Respected Contributor

Gluten bloats up my stomach very badly, so I stay away when I can. In fact, I bought a bread maker and started making gluten-free bread. What a godsend!
I don't bloat up & I don't gain weight. Love it!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I highly suggest you read the book "Grain Brain". You will be shocked, amazed, and enlightened about gluten.

Respected Contributor
On 8/31/2014 mjmm said: Mary Beth said gluten free is healthier eating. From what I've read, it's healthier for those with celac disease. All the rest of us need gluten.

She is a salesperson and it is her job to say whatever closes the deal.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Frequent Contributor
On 8/31/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I highly suggest you read the book "Grain Brain". You will be shocked, amazed, and enlightened about gluten.

Haven't read that one yet but "Wheat Belly" is another great one.

Honored Contributor
On 8/31/2014 cjmcp said:
On 8/31/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Haven't read that one yet but "Wheat Belly" is another great one.

That's on my "to read" list.

Honored Contributor

I think 10-20 yrs from now, the public will look back on the gluten bit & realize 'what were we thinking'?

Super Contributor

I respectfully disagree. My daughter has an autoimmune disease, and her doctor suggested she try gluten free---about 15 years ago when it was REALLY hard and there were no prepared foods. She miraculously felt better. The rest of us have cut back dramatically on our gluten as a result and feel much better.

Those who suffer from a disease like celiacs and others have to eliminate it entirely. Even vinegar and soy sauce have gluten. Modified food starch is gluten, and even some supposedly "gluten free" soups like a famous Italian named one, has gluten in it.

I don't think we actually need gluten, but there is probably no need for most healthy people to cut back. But if you try it, especially if you have an auto-immune situation, you might notice a big difference.