Respected Contributor

Hello to my pals,

We had a great time and saw a lot of the New England Coast line.

We visited a winery, sailed the coast line, slept listening to the ocean surf which was so relaxing, ate every kind of seafood imaginable and lobster, lobster, lobster galore!

So many activities to choose from. We also went horse back riding, played archery, and enjoyed the surf.

The quaint shops were lovely and the shopping was wonderful, but my Mom's and hubby's 3 year death anniversary really made us sad, although we knew that was to be expected.

We did not eat anything but seafood since we left for our New England trip. Of all the foods we missed it was beef....."Phillip kept whispering in my ear....Where's the beef, where's the beef".......just like that tv commercial from years ago, and that made me really giggle. I said order some steak, and he said no, when in New England do as the natives, and eat the seafood. So seafood it was.

I must admit we did miss beef the most, so later today Phillip will cook some steaks on the BBQ with baked potatoes and some veggies. That will be our Sunday menu.

The dogs were really happy to see us, and as usual we missed them too. They were well fed and looked after. It's nice to go away and know your fur babies are safe at home being well cared for.

All in all it was a very nice mini vacation and came at just the right time, when I really needed a change of scenery, and Phillip was so observant to realize that.

Hope I did not miss too much while away, and will post later today.

Now its time to get some rest, and hope everyone has a lovely upcoming Labor Day holiday.

Super Contributor

Re: New England was wonderful!

Hello dear Adore, I am so thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful trip. I love New England and it sounds like you relaxed and indulged in it's beauty and delicious food. I am envious of all that lobster you ate. Smile That was so very thoughtful of Phillip to take you away at such a difficult time. While it doesn't erase the sorrow of loss, sometimes being in a different environment helps us cope better with those memories. Glad you are back home and it sounds like you will have a delightful day. Have a blessed Sunday and a safe and happy Labor Day holiday.

Respected Contributor

Jules I am so happy to read your great reply.

I have really missed you and hope you are feeling better and stronger, as each day passes.

The lobster was so delicious but I fear we over ate. That was quite a lot of seafood. The fish was so fresh and delicious and the shrimps were so good. I loved the scallops and we even had the chowders which were tasty beyond belief...........and the beer.......wonderful!

I wish you could have been with us to also enjoy the picturesque views and delicious foods.

Have you decided where your feet will eventually take you?.......Any thoughts about England again?.

I pray there will be much joy and love in your future my dear friend.

Happy Sunday Jules and we and hope you also have a very safe upcoming Labor day holiday.

Take good care dear friend, and many hugs and blessings coming your way Jules!

Honored Contributor

That's nice but New England isn't a state, where did you go, what places did you enjoy the most?
Respected Contributor

It sounds like you are having way too much fun here. Smiley Happy Good for you. I've never been very far east, but I hear it's beautiful there.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

Adoreqvc, welcome home! I am so happy you had such a wonderful time! I thought it would be a little "slower": you and Phillip were busy bees! I hope you bought some nice bath salts to soak in after your horseback rideSmiley Happy ....please, tell us more about the seafood and the way it was prepared. There are a couple of restaurants here that cater to "Downeast" snow birds-and they can't live without their lobster rolls: you have inspired my lunch! I know there was some sadness, but it sounds as if the sweetness outweighed the sadness and that you truly enjoyed your time with Philip: you will never forget your lost loved ones, but there is a time to heal and Bless you my friend, I think you are on the mend. I look forward to hearing more about your sightseeing and culinary adventures! Hugs, Poodlepet
Esteemed Contributor

Welcome back! I'm glad you had a great vacation, though it was bittersweet.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Hello my friends,

I have missed many of you, and many thanks for the nice replies, and yes this mini vacation was very bittersweet as many places I also enjoyed with my beloved Mother and husband......sadness yes, but as with memories they are something to be cherished, as they are a special gift no one can remove from our minds and hearts.

Now Phillip and I are starting to make our own cherished memories, and that makes us feel so very blessed.

The best part of any trip is the food, so here goes the listing of foods on the menu’s:

Steamed, boiled, or broiled whole lobstah and butta.
Lobstah tails with butta.
Lobstah rolls and beer, the combo is delicious.
Lobstah chowders and stews, lobstah cakes, fried clams, fried oysters.
Crab cakes, stews and chowders.
Raw clams, raw oysters.
Fish and chips, lobster mac and cheese.
Various freshly caught fish, and some were specials of the day.
We love seafood and always enjoy it at home and while traveling, as they say feed the soul and we did, we did.

We brought back wines from the winery, blueberry preserves, jams, whoppie pies galore, and maple syrups. I did lots of shopping in the quaint small shops and made sure to get plenty different soaps and bath salts, as the horseback riding requires a good long soak in a deep tub filled with nice soothing scents and plenty of giggle bubbles.

Phillip enjoyed the sightseeing, scenery and foods as much as I did.

He intentionally planned to keep me very busy so I would not have that much time to dwell on missing my loved ones during the 3rd year anniversaries. He planned the surprise trip to ensure we were away and busy.

We enjoyed all the out door activities, especially the horse back riding, archery, scenic drives, swimming and sailing.

Can’t say the sadness stayed away because it didn’t, but being very busy I feel really helped me a lot.

As for sightseeing yes we drove, and took a day long sail along the New England coast line, met some nice folk aboard, ate well, and we really enjoyed everything.

Out of all of the six New England States my favorite and Phillips also are Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Rhode Island.

Without becoming too personal this trip was spent in Maine, and with Maine as a choice there is so much to do and see. It was a great choice and a lovely surprise. Tourist attractions are very busy and overcrowded, so knowing other areas to also enjoy the local fare with less crowds requires planning, and we managed that very well. Some days we wanted the hustle and bustle and other days we preferred to do a scenic drive to enjoy less tourist type outings.

New England during the fall season is also breathtaking, the colors then are glorious. Nice time to plan for a trip just to see the beauty of Mother nature at her best, and makes your inner faith in God’s majestic beauty renew, over and over again.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know you were gone...I wanted to hear what was on your Labor Day menu - I needed some ideas!

Respected Contributor

Hi terrier3,

Labor Day always meant BBQ & pool party fun with good friends to enjoy it.

Having about 15 people coming over.

Appetizers of grilled stuffed mushrooms, and grilled zucchini and squash.

Menu will be BBQ of steaks, baby back spare ribs, burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob.

Sides will be potato, macaroni, and cole slaw salads.

Some wines, beer, soda, lemonade, and sparkling water.

Also what kind of American Labor Day Holiday would it be without good old fashioned home made apple and blueberry pie.

Well terrier3 I hope that gave you an appetite and some ideas.....and thanks for reminding me to post my Labor Day menu.

Happy Labor Day my friend.....stay safe, eat, drink and enjoy!