Honored Contributor

Hubby is poking fun at me because of this thing that I do.. do you do it, too?

We're going to be away overnight and I'm cleaning the house like there's no tomorrow.

I never leave things a mess when we go out together, for two reasons:

1) I don't want to return to a messy house.

2) If we don't return, I don't want someone else to find my messy house.

Does anyone else feel compelled to leave the house in order when going away?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Hubby is poking fun at me because of this thing that I do.. do you do it, too?

tidy up......yes.......full blown cleaning?.....no.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Hubby is poking fun at me because of this thing that I do.. do you do it, too?

My crazy checklist:

clean bathrooms

wash floors

purge fridge of anything that might spoil

vacuum

change sheets

clean litter box

empty all trash and recycle

and of course, tidy up.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

I like to leave it organized... nice to come home too, but, I never think about never returning and someone else in the house as a reason to clean it. That is rather depressing and sick???

Esteemed Contributor

Same here, house cat. And your husband should be extremely glad that you are cleaning the house! He must be as spoiled as mine.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I like the laundry done and put away and the kitchen to be clean - nothing waiting in the dishwasher, either. I am OCD on such things. Right now I am talking to you while four months' worth of cleaning supplies sit in my car - I like to keep a year's worth on hand.
Honored Contributor

Overnight? Absolutely NOT. Two weeks, yes as we pack and get ready and let the fridge items run low like milk and veggies.

Trusted Contributor

No, but I wish I had that much discipline! I joke that no one would rob us while we are gone, because the house looks like someone will be home any minute! I do try to tidy up the kitchen and empty out stinky garbage, but as to cleaning all over -- sadly, no.
Respected Contributor

I have a ritual also. If it is just overnight, I just tidy up, dishwasher run/emptied, vacuum if needed.

If I'm away for longer periods like a week, I tend to do more cleaning, turn down the hot water tank, shut off valves to washer, unplug appliances, computers, tv, clean out frig. I like returning to a clean/organized home and my only tasks will be washing the clothes we bring back.

Regular Contributor

I'm guilty.