Honored Contributor

What's your favorite quick and simple soup recipe?

Tuesday is our Soup and Sandwich Night and I'm running out of ideas.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: What's your favorite quick and simple soup recipe?

One of my favs is homemade chicken soup. Head to your grocer where you can pick up an already deliciously roaster chicken. Bring it home, take the meat off the bones and make it your's from that point forward.

You can make throw in whatever veggies you want AND it's still very tasty. YUM!

Honored Contributor

On 8/26/2014 pink dogwood said:

One of my favs is homemade chicken soup. Head to your grocer where you can pick up an already deliciously roaster chicken. Bring it home, take the meat off the bones and make it your's from that point forward.

I planned that last week for leftover rotisserie chicken. It was excellent. I have the carcass in the freezer - someone here told me it makes good broth but I haven't had a chance to do that. Have you ever made stock in your crock pot? I have a bag of veggie scraps in the freezer, too. I'm wondering if I can let that cook while I'm working today.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

This definitely is the quickest soup recipe I have....good if you like Vegetable Soup.....got this a long time ago from Weight Watchers.....1 cup = 1 point. 5 CAN SOUP......Mix together the following....heat thoroughly and serve........1 can Stewed Tomatoes (I use Italian for extra taste).......1 can Kidney Beans, drain......1 can Veg-All, drain (mixed vegetables)....1 can Progresso fat-free Minestrone Soup......1 can Cream Style Corn........enjoy!
Honored Contributor

Back again Ms Cat - I rarely look to see who's starting posts here. LOL

So I've not made stock in my pot but sure you can do that with the carcass and veggies. make ahead of time, freeze it too. Then you're all set for some other meal with your creativity.

Let me know when dindin is ready!!!

Respected Contributor

On 8/26/2014 house_cat said:
On 8/26/2014 pink dogwood said:

I planned that last week for leftover rotisserie chicken. It was excellent. I have the carcass in the freezer - someone here told me it makes good broth but I haven't had a chance to do that. Have you ever made stock in your crock pot? I have a bag of veggie scraps in the freezer, too. I'm wondering if I can let that cook while I'm working today.

the crock pot is a super way to make broth from the skin scraps and bones . I do it and my freezer is full of tasty broth. I just throw bones ,skin,etc in a freezer Ziplocs until I am ready to make stock. There are recipes all over the internet. It will spoil you from store broth.
Super Contributor

this is my favorite quick soup, its makes quite a bit and freezes well. Its from everyday food but I changed the beans from just cannellini to cannellini and kidney beans. I use rainbow carrots from trader joe's I like the extra color they add. I've also made it with black beans.

2-3 medium carrots diced small

2 celery stalks diced smalll

1med onion diced small

3cloves garlic, minced

1teaspoon dried thyme

1 can cannellini beans

1 can red kidney beans

1 lg can of diced tomatoes (28oz) I use the petite diced but I like the tomoatoes little to match the veg

4 cups veggies or chicken broth (I use better than bollion)

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

heat a couple Tblsp of oil in a large pot, add celery, carrots and oil cook until onions are translucent ~6min

add garlic and thyme, season with salt and pepper cook until fragrant ~3min

add beans, tomatoes, broth and parsley bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender ~25 minutes

sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired, for serving

Valued Contributor

Mac & Bean! Easy Peasy!: Sautee a chopped onion, celery (1-2 ribs), minced garlic in about 2 tbsps of evoo in a big pot. When onions are soft, add 1 can kidney beans (undrained), 1 can cannellini beans (undrained), a cup or two of tomato sauce (or crushed tomatoes--whichever you have on hand. While you're doing all this, boil some macaroni on the stove. When Mac is done, dump as much as you'd like into the soup pot (some like it heavy on the pasta, some don't.) Also, add about 1-2 cups of the pasta water to soup. Season with s&p, a touch of oregano, and chopped fresh basil. Sometimes I also add spinach. At table too with freshly grated parm.
Valued Contributor

Oh, sometimes you need to add some more water--pasta water OR just regular water from tap. Just see how much you need or want of the soup and you'll determine how much additional liquid you need.
Frequent Contributor

I made Taco Soup last night....I had everything in the pot in under 10 minutes. While it was cooking, I got out the bowls and some cheddar and sour cream for toppings. It was deeeelicious!! 1/2 onion chopped and sautéed, 2 cans chili beans, 1 can rotel, 1 can corn, 1 taco seasoning packet, 1 ranch mix packet.....I don't always like canned veggies, but it's a great time saver once in a while Smiley Happy