Respected Contributor

Tiny House Nation: the kitchen

I am intrigued with this show. It airs Wednesday nights on FYI. If you haven't seen it, it profiles people who live in average size houses who decide to downsize-to the extreme. For example, there was a family of four who built and moved into 396 square feet. The host was chirping merrily how the kitchen had everything they needed.... I am glad he thought so! The sink was about the size of a bathroom sink you would put in a powder room. He gave them a Big Green Egg and pointed out all the things they could do. (Seriously? This is in Tennessee and it gets pretty darned cold there. Would you want to be outside when it's snowing and winds are gusting, trying to grill or whatever?) At one time when my DH was in grad school we-family of three-had to live in a studio apt. His program paid for it, and there was no way we could have afforded something larger while continuing to pay a mortgage on the house we were living in. The kitchen was tiny: I had less than one square foot to prep in. Even making soup was a nightmare. Sometimes I think we could live more simply with a lot less,BUT NOT WHEN IT COMES TO MY KITCHEN! Sooner started a topic about appliances we use, and I can't think of any that I would part high-risk than my rice cooker because I could certainly use my PC. Be sure to check out this show, but do you think you could deal with a tiny kitchen on a day to day basis? Think about storage for example. I'm sure if there is an item we need and it's buy one get one, we take advantage of that and don't think twice.....but what happens when you only have one tiny cupboard? Poodlepet
Super Contributor

Re: Tiny House Nation: the kitchen

I would consider living in Tiny House for a weekend but that would be my limit. lol! I watch the show and it is interesting. I like the concept and how these homes are layed out but have no desire to live full time in one.

Honored Contributor

I think the whole concept is absurd. I need more room than that just for books and magazines.

Valued Contributor

My current kitchen is 400 square feet and I can't image living inside of it.

Maria

Super Contributor

I think people who go for the tiny kitchen concept don't do extensive cooking.

Trusted Contributor

I saw this show for the first time last week. The hosts were bragging about having everything you need in a kitchen. The cooktop was only two burners! Heck, that's camping to me!

Honored Contributor

It seems way too claustrophobic!!

Respected Contributor

I agree with everybody, and I think for some people, it might work, but I am not one of those people. There are some things I just don't understand and I don't know why the builders don't consider them. For example, many of these dwellers live in remote locations and the nearest grocery might be 25 or more miles away-and there are also weather factors. It would just make since to provide ample space for food storage-and for crying out loud, it would not be expensive to do. I have been on a lot of boats in the 50-60 ft range that had better design and more pantry space than some of these houses. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

I have seen other episodes of Tiny House where there was as much kitchen space as I have in my galley kitchen. The houses are custom built to your specifications, so if you want more bedroom and bathroom space than kitchen space, that's what you get. I think this concept works best for singles, or very minimalist couples if it is their full-time home. If a tiny house is just a vacation getaway, I feel sure it can be made to work for a few days at a time.

I am actually trying to talk my oldest daughter into having a tiny house built on our property. I think this would be more ideal for her than a large mortgage for more space than she needs. Since she works 14 hours a day, she is in agreement that she only needs a large bedroom and closet, bathroom, laundry and kitchen/dining/living space. The 2 story tiny houses are awesome.

Valued Contributor

I could not do it, I need one more room now....I am in a rambler with everything on one level and I'd kill for a second den or an extra bedroom.