Valued Contributor

Contemplating a French door refrigerator

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I am looking for current opinions. I am thinking of buying a four-door fridge- the one with the extra drawer above the freezer. For those who have one- do you really love it?

Also, I have other white appliances that I don't need to replace just yet. Do you think stainless has become a classic, or will it go out of style in the next few years?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Contemplating a French door refrigerator

We bought a Samsung 4-door French fridge with ice and water in the door and we love it. We had a side-by-side prior and I hated that thing because it wasn't roomy enough. For the first time in a long time, I finally have enough room for all the food, even when I do larger dinners and picnics. That drawer above the freezer has been a god-send. It holds bottles of wine, it holds beer and soda, it holds large appy trays and large sheet cakes.

Ours is stainless as are all our appliances. I know stainless isn't for everybody....too cold, too dreary, too whatever. But we like it.

I love this fridge!

Honored Contributor

Don't own one, but when I have to replace mine, I hope to have the freezer drawer at the bottom and double doors on top... Were I you, I'd stick with white. It'll never go out of style! Trends will come and go, but white will always work and besides, the options for decorative accessories are then without limit!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

I have the Whirlpool French Four Door. I love that when both doors are open, I can see everything front to back. My only problem with this design is in the drawer below the the French doors. It takes up room I would have rather had in the freezer section. ETA: I went with the SS. It's very neutral & IMHO has become a classic. It all depends on the style ( & size) of your kitchen. My SIL recently remodeled her tiny kitchen with lots of wood, dark granite & white appliances. When you enter-wow- the white really jumps out at you.
Honored Contributor

I love the French Door. I hated our side by side. It was so annoying to have to constantly be juggling things around to make room. I have white appliance, Not stainless. I don't think stainless will ever go out of style. It's just personal preference.
Regular Contributor

I love mine especially how it can accommadate large trays, pizza boxes, etc. I have stainless everything and although it shows beau coup finger prints, I still prefer over white and almond.
Esteemed Contributor

I think stainless steel is the new avocado green.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

On 8/25/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I think stainless steel is the new avocado green.

This is exactly my fear! By the time I need to replace the other appliances, it may be out of style!

Valued Contributor

I do not like at all my french door stainless steel frig , and it is very new but if I live long enough I will replace it with a white bottom freezer like I had before.Not french door for sure.

Valued Contributor

I am going out to the few local appliance stores in my small town this morning. Hoping I can find a French four door to fit the spot for the fridge. The size of the location for it in the kitchen may limit my options. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all of your opinions. They do help!