Contributor

considering a pressure cooker, need feedback

I'm contemplating if I should purchase a pressure cooker. I would like something that would help me prepare meals faster once I'm back at work. Who has one that can tell me how it works and what brands are good.

I've never used one before so I'm clueless as to how to use it and what recipes would work well with it. Appreciate any feedback.

Respected Contributor

Re: considering a pressure cooker, need feedback

I love mine and it really saves me time. I cook on the weekend for the week and I prefer the electric automatic ones because I can set it and it reaches pressure automatically.

I have the Fagor-recommended by America's Test Kitchen

There are some great recipe books that tell you how to use it for soup, roasts, desserts, mac and cheese, etc.

It's actually pretty easy cooking.

Honored Contributor

instant pot....on sale now on amazon because they are coming out with a new model.

Super Contributor

I have the Cooks Essential 6 Quart Oval Pressure cooker. I had never been around anyone that used one and I was hesitant, but once I used it the first time, I absolutely loved it. I like the oval shape, because it gives you a little more flexibility with regards to shape and size of various foods and with the larger size you can make small amounts of food with the option for larger amounts when you want. Electric Pressure cookers have lots of safety features and are very user friendly. What I found most helpful, was Bob Wardens Cookbooks: Slow Food Fast and Great Food Fast. Great books for people like us with no experience at all. I have made some of the recipes and used the information in the books to create our own recipes. Unlike a crock pot you don’t have to leave it all day, it is really fast and everything (so far) has turned out tender and juicy, requires minimal preparation/work and it does not heat up the house. They have lots of different options (like browning and such) you just have to decide what functions are best for you. Good Luck.

tkins

Respected Contributor

I just bought a basic stovetop because I wasn't sure how much I'd use it. I got a Presto, think it's a 6-quart stainless steel. Don't get aluminum. It's fun to try something new. I don't use it a lot, but mostly use it to cook up chicken bones and carcass for soup stock. Very fast for that. I think I need to get it out and use more.

I'll second tkins' suggestion about the Bob Warden cookbook. It's very helpful.

Honored Contributor

I have the Cook's Essential 8 qt oval which they don't make anymore. I also have the 6 qt Cuisinart pressure cooker. Both are electric digital. Stovetop pressure cookers will cook food faster then these electric digital pressure cookers. Make sure you buy one with 15 PSI on high 10 PSI on low. A lot of them are not 15 PSI on high & will take longer to cook your food. I guess it's a big secret to the PSI as none ever list it on the description. The Cuisinart has a 3 yr warranty which you won't find out in the market. I think most have 90 days & at most 1 yr warranty. When I first bought mine it stayed in the cabinet for a while before I finally tried it. I just did some trial in error when cooking & made notes. LOL!!! They sure are nice. I'm making some pulled pork tomorrow in mine.

The Cuisinart is about $100. You can use a 20% off coupon that Bed, Bath & Beyond always have to get one for $80. Sign up for their emails to get the coupons.

Respected Contributor

I have the CuisineArt electric PC. LOVE it, I have not used my crock pot ONCE since I got my PC 2 years ago. In 1 hour on a Sunday I can make 3 recipes, one prep time, one clean up time and days worth of meals ready in an hour.

PS- I have never used a PC prior to 2 years ago, no one in my family would use one in fear {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

So am a self taught, never had a problem, never had a recipe not turn out.

Good luck you will love pressure cooking!

Honored Contributor

On 8/19/2014 phoenixbrd said:

instant pot....on sale now on amazon because they are coming out with a new model.

Instant Pot Discount: $45 discount & free shipping!

I agree w/ the Instant Pot! To get a $45 discount & free shipping, go to their website (Google Instant Pot) & enter vegqueen at checkout.

If you Facebook, there's a closed group called "InstaPot Users Group"...LOTS of support & ideas. Even if you don't purchase the Instant Pot, join the group! Just the pictures alone will inspire!!

Phoenixbrd: hey, sister...you tickle me...we are so on the same page!

Honored Contributor

The electric pc are wonderful. Please research and make sure replacement parts are easy to order. I love my cooks essentials oval pressure cooker for the shape and size but it lasted for18 months before the regulator knob broke. The company that made the model has gone out of business. I have searched the internet and all over but no one to order parts from or make repairs. I need to just throw it out. I have the 4 guart and now having problems with the regulator knob. I love the electric pc but will never purchase another cooks essentials. When I do purchase another pc will also purchase extra regulator knobs and gaskets to have for emergencies. I would use the oval pc at least three times per week .
Super Contributor

Great for pot roast! I recommend Fagor or Kuhn Rikon brand.