Honored Contributor

Should I buy a vacuum seal food storage device? Which do you have and how do you most frequently use it?

I've always wanted one but don't know if it's worth the money.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Re: Should I buy a vacuum seal food storage device? Which do you have and how do you most frequently use it?

I bought the FoodSaver 20 YEARS ago from QVC. It never worked right and just stopped using it. It went to the thrift store. I still see them at GoodWill all the time. That might give you an idea about it.....
Honored Contributor

Re: Should I buy a vacuum seal food storage device? Which do you have and how do you most frequently use it?

I used a Food Saver for years when my family was home. After it finally wore out, I bought another one and it never worked right. Didn't use one for years and in that time wasted a lot of food that didn't last well in the freezer. I bought one of the smaller Food Savers a few months ago. It does keep meat fresh a lot longer. I got it at Target and it was around $70. or $80., I think. Lightweight and easy to put away as I don't have room out on the counter. Last time I went to use it, I had trouble getting the bags to seal. Will be using again this coming week and hope it works. I think I was just doing something wrong. Overall, I think they are worth it, but I wouldn't buy one that is huge because I no longer have that much of a need to use it almost every day.

Super Contributor

They are worth it,even if you dont use it all that much...I have 2...

Esteemed Contributor

We use our Food Saver nearly every week. Ours is more than 2 years old. I also gave DS one since he works long hours (chef). He's had no complaints.

Honored Contributor

Kind of a hassel to open a bag up then re seal it. I have a food saver and use the vacuum thing with the hose on it to marinate stuff in canisters often. I don't buy as much for the freezer anymore.

Honored Contributor

I have a FoodSaver. It's worth the money if you buy in bulk like I do. I hate food that gets freezer burn. Q will have a TSV next week. I remember seeing it in the program guide. Just checked the guide & it's on the 20th.

Honored Contributor

Debbie Myers, the green box lady, on hsn has a similar device but for a lot less money. Handi-vac food sealer. I don't own it but its something to think about. the reviews are good
Respected Contributor

Absolutely buy one! The frost-free freezers DESTROY frozen food and unless you have a deep freezer with no frost free, there is no better way to keep your frozen foods from getting dried out and freezer burned and off flavors, too.

The best one I've tried is the Food Saver V series which has a dry food/moist food setting and a crush-free setting (for crackers, for example) and stores vertically. The others I've own failed in a year (just sitting!) and were worthless wastes of money. This is the only one I'd ever own. It is slightly more but if you buy a cheap one, you'll just be throwing away your money because it will either fail or it won't vac down enough to make it worthwhile.

Respected Contributor

I use mine every day. 90% of my dry foods are in 1/2 gallon jars and I use paint pens to label. I only use the bags for cheese and stuff I freeze. Leftovers are great to reheat in simmering water in the bags. Tamales are the best this way.

In 25 years I'm on my third. This is the one thing I'm sure I can't live without.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*