Honored Contributor

What's new in back splashes?

Outside of glass tiles, I mean. That seems to be all they show on HGTV now days.

Respected Contributor

Re: What's new in back splashes?

Understand that you're talking about applying a whole space of tile; however, I've purchased oblong and large square plastic trays that have an appropriate pattern and applied them above the faucets in different powder rooms. I used 3M Velcro strips on each end to attach them to the wall. Saves painting and they can be reused later if I find something I like better.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

My SIL could not afford the glass tiles so she simply painted the backsplash a pretty color in a glossy paint that complimented the color of the walls.

Frequent Contributor

Houzz.com just had an article on "What's new in back splashes", and it's a single flat surface such as the painted glass or a solid slab of marble. Clean lines! Go to Houzz.com & search back splashes. If you love interior decorating this is a fantastic resource!

Valued Contributor

I just did a new backsplash with my honed black granite countertops. I used Ayers Rock Majestic Mound 3 inch squares. If interested you can google. Great decision, just love.

Esteemed Contributor

Okay, don't flame me but you know the whole cabin/northwoods look here.

I'm going to put Zbrick/thin brick on the backsplash and one solid wall in the kitchen.

I haven't seen it advertised in forever but I had it in a condo years ago when it was popular. Zbrick carries a thin coating you can put over the brick to make it grease/stain resistant. I thought it was the most durable backsplash for the kitchen I ever had! I did a little searching and the thin brick that's out there has far more colors and suppliers than I imagined.

Think it'll add to the rustic charm and keep me off the streets this winter. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/13/2014 depglass said:

Outside of glass tiles, I mean. That seems to be all they show on HGTV now days.

Good question as I was asking myself this just today. I love the glass tiles but am afraid they will look dated eventually. I want something that won't go out of style.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

I didn't want to deal with grout of any kind, so we used the same color quartz we did our counter tops with. It is a thinner piece and we ran it from the counter top to the bottom of the cabinets and up the entire wall behind the cooktop and hood.

I was considering a solid glass backsplash also. It can be frosted, back painted. There is also some very interesting laminate (like patterned or embossed plexiglass) materials out there for back splashes.

Trusted Contributor

I love the glass tiles, the color combinations are really lovely. Would like to have some on the back wall behind my stove. I have a grey marbled ceramic tile countertops and there is a space between them and my cupboards would like to add it there too. First saw the glass tile and the difference it can make on a show called Flip or Flop. Love that show they have excellent taste in remodeling homes. Have got a lot of great ideas from them.

Super Contributor

punched or hammered metals.....