Respected Contributor

Cherry cabinets with what color of counter?

I need some recs for counter tops with cherry cabinets please. Is black granite really that hard to keep clean of finger smudges? That's what my girlfriend keeps warning me of. I don't want Corian or laminate this time around. I have never had granite or quartz. TIA!
Respected Contributor

Re: Cherry cabinets with what color of counter?

Black granite would look fabulous!

Black silestone is also rugged and beautiful, with very little upkeep.

Respected Contributor

Thanks! That's what I thought. My girlfriend said she just couldn't handle seeing smudges while sitting at the kitchen table. I saw the Silestone yesterday and that's pretty too and twice the cost of graniteSmiley Sad.
Honored Contributor

I have this one, with a cherry color and gold walls.

Giallo Napoleon

Giallo Napoleone Granite

Respected Contributor

I have Typhoon Bordeaux granite...it's a lighter color with streaks, spots, and splashes of black, browns and, as the name implies, bordeaux. It might pick up the color of the cherry cabinets beautifully and not be too dark. Just my opinion, and it depends on your kitchen, your taste of course, but I think black granite with dark cabinets might possibly look a little too dark.

My granite shows nothing in the way of fingerprints or smudges, even crumbs don't really show!

Honored Contributor

I would go with something lighter with some dappling or spots.

I have sage green shaker style cabinets and wanted white quartz.

The designer at the kitchen store showed me quartz that looks like white marble (with grey-green veining). I went with that and it's perfect.

Many kitchens showcased now in magazines have marble countertops. Marble is porous and stains easily...but quartz that resembles marble will last forever.

There are different manufacturers of quartz - the one I chose was similar in price to granite...not double the cost.

Just a suggestion...

Honored Contributor

On 8/12/2014 vermint said:

I have Typhoon Bordeaux granite.

Honored Contributor

Dark cabinets...marble patterned quartz:

Super Contributor

I was at a former co-workers home not too long ago ... his kitchen was done in cherry cabinets and a fantastic dark green marble countertops.

It was a beautiful room.

Esteemed Contributor

Cherry cabinets are so beautiful that I would definitely look for a counter top that would accent them and show off their warm, lovely color. I wouldn't choose black, personally.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein