Honored Contributor

Anyone have a pecan pie recipe other then that Karo syrup recipe that's been around since the days of the dinosaur ? Only other one I saw is where you put choc chips in the bottom of the crust. Made that and hubbo snarled his nose up and said stick with plain pecan pie.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

Re: Pecan pie recipe, please

This recipe stays firm and doesn't get soggy or liquidity like other Pecan Pie recipes. It has cornmeal as a secret ingredient to keep it firm. This is the only Pecan Pie I make. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Brenda's Pecan Pie

1 box of light brown sugar or 2 cups packed and leveled off.

1 stick of margarine, melted

4 eggs

2 Tablespoons of yellow cornmeal, plain, not self-rising

2 Tablespoons water

1 Tablespoon vanilla

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups chopped pecans

2 regular frozen pie shells, unbaked

Put 1 cup of nuts in each pie pan then mix the other ingredients and divide it between the 2 pie shells. I put the pies on a sheet pan and baked them at 325* for 45 minutes. Let cool.

Respected Contributor

I use to make the Karo Syrup version, but after eating this one, I got the recipe. Now it is the only one I make. I even got my Mom to change over and make this one.

Give it a try and let me know how you like it.

Honored Contributor

Wow! whole box of light brown sugar ! leaving to go to walmart to get food will pick up. I usually just use dark brown, but, will buy light. Will make on Sat. (my fatty day LOL) hope it turns out.

When you see what they want now for one piece of pie when you eat out it would floor U. Like 5 bucks or more and pecan is always the most expensive. those tiny desserts they have at Olive Garden wouldn't feed a gnat. I got the choc. mousse one time and it was like a tablespoon of pudding. It was over 5, too!

Esteemed Contributor

Here's one a friend gave to me years ago, and I never use the old fashioned recipe any more. This does have some corn syrup in it (only 1/2 cup per pie), but the cream cheese cuts the sweetness and firms it up. It doesn't contain a lot of cream cheese, especially considering it makes two pies, and it's not runny at all. I love it because it still tastes like pecan pie but not with the cloying sweetness of the regular recipe.

Cream Cheese Pecan Pie

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees

Ingredients:

1 - 8 oz pkg cream cheese

4 eggs

1 cup corn syrup - light or dark

1-1/4 cup pecans

1/3 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

2 regular pie shells - unbaked (not deep dish)

Directions:

Beat cream cheese, 1 egg, and sugar together. Pour evenly in unbaked pie shells.

Sprinkle the pecans over this mixture

Beat the other 3 eggs until frothy, then add syrup, salt and vanilla.

Pour this mixture over the pecans.

Bake pies at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. You may need to check depending on your oven, just make sure the pecans have come to the top and don't let them burn.

I make this a little healthier by using the low fat cream cheese, it works just as well as regular.

I also sometimes use 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters (equal to 2 eggs)

Honored Contributor

Thank U, I would like , but, Mr. finicky cat doesn't like cream cheese. If U all had to feed this man you would hit him over the head with a Louisville slugger. He won't eat dressing, he won't eat dumplings, he won't eat any gravy except milk gravy what some might call red eye gravy, boiled chicken, cream cheese icing, mexican food, pineapple, candied cherries, deviled eggs, etc.

wahhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! won't eat homemade bread or rolls maybe one I end up throwing out most of them. only bean he'll eat is baked like pork & beans.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/7/2014 Sharke said:

Thank U, I would like , but, Mr. finicky cat doesn't like cream cheese. If U all had to feed this man you would hit him over the head with a Louisville slugger. He won't eat dressing, he won't eat dumplings, he won't eat any gravy except milk gravy what some might call red eye gravy, boiled chicken, cream cheese icing, mexican food, pineapple, candied cherries, deviled eggs, etc.

wahhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! won't eat homemade bread or rolls maybe one I end up throwing out most of them. only bean he'll eat is baked like pork & beans.

I'm sorry, but your post made me laugh! {#emotions_dlg.lol} I wonder if you didn't tell him it had cream cheese in it? I NEVER touch cream cheese myself like on a bagel or anything - the only way I can eat it is if it is in icing or hidden in a recipe. This pie turns out looking mostly like a regular pecan pie on top, but it has a different texture and looks a little bit like it has custard in it. I personally would never know it had cream cheese in it --and I didn't know the first time it was served to me. I thought it was some kind of custard. Good luck with your "Mr. Finicky Cat"! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

WHITE PECAN PIE

Filling:

2 Eggs

1 Cup Sugar

1 tsp Flour

1 Cup Sour Cream
¼ tsp Lemon juice

Brush pie crust with egg white. Pour in Filling and top with pecans.

Bake at 350° 40-50 minutes. Let stand before serving.

Surprisingly delicious! This was my husband's favorite pie.

Here is a site for another one:

http://www.deepfriedkudzu.com/2008/01/sour-cream-pecan-pie.html

Honored Contributor

Mr. Finicky cat won't eat sour cream either...and on it goes.............

Remember that commercial on Tv 'Mikey' the kid and the cereal ? ""give it to Mikey he won't eat anything"" and Mikey loved the cereal and all the other kids looked shocked. Reminds me of what I got to put up with. He won't eat fried or scrambled eggs either. I like plain cheese pizza with some jalepeno juice squeezed on it he goes ""gag the s**t you eat"" ! I need an icon here.................LOL

Respected Contributor

Never heard of White Pecan Pie or Sour Cream Pecan Pie. Sounds yummy!!!