Trusted Contributor
Who out there knew you were supposed to massage ( yup,massage) your kale in order for its taste and texture to be more palatable when eaten raw? I was browsing kale salad recipes and read this fact. Tried it in a quinoa,cranberry,almond salad and lo and behold,tastier kale! I cut ribbons,misted them with olive oil and rubbed them between my hands. Much better! DH who does not like raw kale anyway found it tasty,less bitter and easier to chew. Ok,fess up. Who knew?
Valued Contributor

Although I did know this, I just found out that the amount of kale you eat can affect your thyroid function. I have now cut back, so you may want to google this or check with your doctor.

Trusted Contributor
Doc says don 't worry about it......not the least bit concerned. I don't plan on eating kale everyday,but thanks.
Honored Contributor

Yep! Makes it almost...sweet.

Plus...I just saw a Hidden Valley commercial touting a Kale salad...even used the tag line ""Hale to the Kale"".. Happy to see it becoming mainstream.

Trusted Contributor
Kale is the new broccoli.....love it.
Super Contributor

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/massaged-kale-salad-recipe.html

This is our favorite kale recipe - prefer Black kale/Dinosaur kale - it's delicious. Can switch out the fruit & nut for differ flavor profiles too! Make it all year long.

Valued Contributor

Hi Beach--

Yes, Kale is much better massaged! And much more palatable for those that think that they do not like it. Epicurious.com has a few great recipes for kale that I make a lot. If not massaged, the kale, IMO, needs to sit in it's dressing or evoo or whatever for as long as you can afford to do so before eating.

Honored Contributor

just got home from lunch with friends and I ordered a sesame kale salad; it was horrid and bitter! I love the kale salad mix at Costco.

Trusted Contributor

Do not use stainless steel, or even less inferior, to cut Kale, as just with lettuce..........not just iceberg........tear, and do not cut, unless with a plastic type knife, and wash after cutting, and not before, which assimilates "massage", to get it clean..........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor
Yes, I have always massaged kale with olive oil when making a kale salad. Some people prefer massaging with lemon juice and some with avocado slices.