Respected Contributor

Smelly dish sponges - Question

Do you put your dirty dish sponges in the dishwasher or just throw them away?

I've noticed soaking them in bleach makes them crumble & fall apart.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Contributor

Re: Smelly dish sponges - Question

I don't have a dishwasher, so can't help with that. I do microwave (1min) my damp sponge every other day or so. This keeps it fresh and odor free. I remember that sponge smell and it's nauseating.

Respected Contributor

I use sponges till they fall apart--and not from bleaching. Don't use undiluted bleach. It's way too strong. Just fill the sink with a few inches of hot soapy water and add a few tablespoons (a short splash of bleach). Let the sponges or dish towels soak for 10 minutes or so. That will do the trick. Rinse with clean water, squeeze or wring out the water and let them dry.

Respected Contributor

Top rack of the dishwasher works for me. I use the ones I got from QVC that are covered in a microfiber & one side is a soft "scrubbie." Can't remember now if those are Joe Campanelli products or not. In any case, all sponges eventually have to be trashed.

Esteemed Contributor

throw away.

I use nylon scrub, not sponge, from Dollar Store or Big Lots. Cheap and pitch

Respected Contributor

I use the top rack DW tech for cleaning my sponges.

I have found the Lysol sponges to be the best, (harder to find) but they stay cleaner.

Super Contributor

I toss them. If there so dirty that they smell I don't want them washing my dishes that I eat off of! Sponges are not very expensive. There are better places for me to save money. That said I have the set of microfiber washable sponges I got from the Q those do get washed in the washing machine with my towels once a week. The first time one comes out of the washing machine it will go in the trash
Super Contributor

Microwave! A wet sponge for one minute. It'll be VERY hot, so be careful when you take it out.

Trusted Contributor

I encourage you to try the Scrub Daddy if you haven't already! Best product ever! They last forever, you can put them in the top rack of the dishwasher if you want, but no smell! You can get them at Bed Bath & Beyond and of course the Q. You may think $2.50 is a lot to spend on a sponge, but they are worth it! The only thing they don't do is absorb water, but they scrub anything!
Honored Contributor

I don't ever use sponges because I think that there is too much chance that germs and bacteria will lodge in them. I use dishcloths that I use once or twice, usually two a day and/or paper towels.