Valued Contributor

What's cooking at your house this Awesome August?M

Image result for august free clip artM Morning all,

It is August already! Wow! Can't believe it but it is here. Weather is great, sunny and bright. See a cardinal at the feeder and a black squirrel in the yard this morning. We have black, grey, and brown squirrels around these parts.

Glad for the report, Winifred, regarding the mini tacos. Just received an invitation to a lawn party in 2 weeks and will take them with me.

Dinner last night was bean soup from the freezer, so good. And we split a large, and I do mean large, strawberry salad from Wendy's. Really like that salad.

Hope all is well and you make the transition to August.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's cooking at your house this Awesome August?M

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Morning, Thank You Soushi for starting it off, made those mini taco's last nite, delish! will be making them often, do you make them ahead of time & then heat? been thing appetizers but don't like last minute stuff when company is here.

Making eggplant parmesan today, love it even without the fixin's for a sandwich, some spaghetti & Italian Sausage on the grill.

Our weather has been glorious, perfect, not the heat & humidity that Winifred is having, I do feel your pain, how long will it go on, or is that not a good question?

Preds good start for August

Take Care

Respected Contributor

had chicken breasts fixed in the slow cooker with onions and barbeque sauce, leftover collards from the day before and mashed taters. Also had some macaroni and potato salad. It was good and easy to fix.

Well what do you know we had a great cool down yesterday with light rain, thunder and lightning. There was a little hail when I went to Beaumont to look for a window fan. Right now it is super humid but the temps are not sitting in the high 90s or 100 - what a blessing. The humidity is still really bad but the temps dropped down into the 80s. Great night for sleeping as it required covers to keep the chill off. LOVED IT. Perhaps more light rain today and temps are slotted not to even hit the 90s and then guess what again. A very nice respite although not the best we could get - I will still take it. With everything being so dry for so long we have warnings of flash floods throughout the day.

Hope all have a great day and as usual Soushi, many thanks for getting us started again.

Valued Contributor

Good Morning all,

Had a good week end. Went to the movies, saw the Michael Douglas movie. Served coffee at church yesterday. But not much cooking.

Did cook fresh green beans in the CrockPot. The new replacement is still strange. Low is very, very warm and hot doesn't seem to be that hot. Oh, well, guess I don't have to use it that often as I do have several others to pick from at home.

Have chicken to fix, saw how you could make your own chicken fingers. Think I might do that. Also have hamburger thawed so much do something with that too. But going out to eat tonight so might have to cook them up and reheat tomorrow.

Weather is still wonderful. DH is golfing today. I have nothing on the schedule till tomorrow so will try to work on that huge basket of ironing.

It's Monday, plan on a wonderful week.

Valued Contributor

Morning Everyone,

Weather is great, do have a chance of rain, which we badly need. Temperature to be 81 but low humidity.

I forgot about this tasty treat but want to make a big batch to take to WV. Not sure how far ahead I can make it. It is Carmel Puffed Corn. Once you start eating, you can't stop.

1. Place puff corn in a large roaster pan.
  2. 2
    In 2 quart sauce pan bring the butter, sugar & corn syrup to bring to boil, then cook for 2 minutes.
  3. 3
    Add the baking soda- this will cause the caramel mixture to foam up.
  4. 4
    Stir well and remove from heat.
  5. 5
    Pour over puff corn in roaster and bake in 250* oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
  6. 6
    Remove from oven, spread out onto wax paper to cool.
Respected Contributor

Sunday we had a great storm - wish there was more but I and many others were a happy camper. Bad part, however, two of the mountain roads very near here washed out so people were either stuck up or could not get up. The associate pastor where I mostly go now lives in Forest Falls and he and his family could not get home. Unfortunately their home suffered a hit - a tree fell on their home and it also suffered water damage. Do not know to what extinct the damage is but I guess it is severe - along with a lot of other people. But for us the weather was beautifully cool and the last two nights were a tad chilly. How great is that? Today it got back up in temps BUT the humidity was like it use to be - super low. We shall see how long that lasts as as the temps are predicted to start climbing again. I just pray the humidity stays low - or at least a lot lower than it was. It was horrible.

Just turned the AC on about an hour ago for the first time since Friday - how nice is that?

NO cooking again tonight. Fridge is full of leftovers of one degree or the other AND also there are frozen dinners if the kids prefer. Tessa has turned into a perpetual complainer and I wish her Mom would be able to find a place they can afford - even if it is a tent. I still shake my head and wonder where that once adorable kid went - so very sad.

Have a busy morning and early afternoon tomorrow. Lunch at the Beaumont church and am looking forward to that - they started it last month and it went over super well - they are truly doing very well. The Pastor came up to me last Sunday and volunteered me??? to try and get their directory updated and correct. LOL.

Hope all had a great day.

Valued Contributor

Morning,

I'm taking two friends to lunch today. One just had a birthday and the other lady lost her husband several weeks ago. Have a few little gifts for them.

Found this on the internet and it is cooking away in my crockpot. Will be dinner tonight along with green beans and maybe a salad.

Sweet Baby Ray's Crockpot Chicken

4-6 chicken breast
1 btl Sweet Baby Ray's sauce
1/4 c vinegar
1 tsp red pepper flakes...
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
Mix everything but chicken
Place chicken in crockpot (frozen is ok)
Pour sauce mixture over chicken
Cook on low 4-6 hours
Respected Contributor

The luncheon today at the church was just great - it keeps growing - last month was the first and there were about 30 plus people. Today they had 50 plus - could not put another table in there. Have NO clue what they will do if it keeps growing. The church is currently in a warehouse type building so their space is limited. This is the church Olin went to and it has in 3 months grown from one sparse service to two and both are pretty full - just amazing. They are growing and I hope it continues. Most of the members are now former members of the church I was attending - they have run a lot of people off - several hundred - and from what I hear they think they are doing things right and one day everyone will run back. Do not think so. When you have members of many years leaving, it is serious.

Fridge was once again full of leftovers. Actually had to toss a lot of food into the garbage as it had been there just a bit too long. Do NOT like doing that but I am super sensitive in holding on to food too long - probably often toss before I have to but what can I say.

Was absolutely frigid this morning but by 8 it was warming up. LOL. Have really enjoyed the past few days - unfortunately did have to turn the AC on for a couple hours today but that is better than having it on from morning until after dark.

Hope all had a great day

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."