Valued Contributor

I saw coconut flower at Costco the other day...does anyone use this?

Do you like it? There was also some new kind of sugar next to it. I think I'll get it next time I go.
Respected Contributor

Re: I saw coconut flower at Costco the other day...does anyone use this?

I bought some at Sam's but haven't used it yet. Hopefully someone will post some recipes here.

Honored Contributor

Do they smell good?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

Been using coconut oil instead of veg, canola oil..just add a few tablespoons to your pan as you would to fry. It has a high burn temp...love it with sauted chicken breasts, eggplant..yumm..

Super Contributor

It's what Mary Ann used to make her coconut cream pies on Gilligan's Island.

Honored Contributor

I have used it before in gluten free baking, but if I'm remembering right you can only substitute a portion of it in recipes that require flour because it's too dry and the baked goods don't turn out well.

Honored Contributor

I use coconut flour. I think I have Bob's Red Mill brand.

It's very nice, a very milk coconut flavor.

It's for Paleo-type recipes.

Pinterest is filled with a ton of them.

This is the most recent thing I've made with it. It only uses 2T of coconut flour, though.

Paleo Bread:

http://www.toscareno.com/2014/05/26/toscas-paleo-bread/?utm_content=buffer9b666&utm_medium=social&ut...

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

Persephonel - I'm not trying to be "that annoying poster" who constantly questions spelling errors (lol), but I'm truly confused about whether you mean coconut flower or coconut flour? I'm thinking one could be used a garnish and the other for baking(?) Thank you for humoring me if my question is dumb! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Edit: Never mind, I just read the above post, and now it's clear to me that you meant flour. Sorry!

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I use it and almond flour all the time. Made some really good blueberry pancakes with it last weekend from a recipe I found here (check Recipe Swap if you're interested). It's called Paleo-Coconut Almond Pancakes and uses both coconut and almond flour.

The thing about coconut flour is that it really soaks up liquid so you have to be careful if you are trying to make substitutions with it. But there are many recipes out there using it.

Was it next to coconut sugar? That's something I also use occasionally. It looks like brown sugar and has a mild coconut/caramel flavor.

Respected Contributor

Coconut flour has advantages for certain cooks but is not easy to work with. It is gluten free and is very high in protein, fat and manganese . You can't really substitute it for flour because it is very difficult to incorporate with other ingredients and you need way less and usually more eggs. I am certain you can find recipes on line. To me there are no benefits that outweigh the different methods you need to employ so I tried once and moved on .