Respected Contributor

Cleaning out my mom's house and in her recipe drawer there was that great recipe for Cracklin Bran Muffins. Bought the cereal yesterday and made them last night, now you have to realize that my mom's recipe's are mostly "marked up" meaning she adjusts and then marks them on the recipe.

My question, made the muffins, used her notes to put 3 Tablespoons of oil in them versus the printed recipe calls for a 1/4 cup.....muffins seemed to be a little dry and not as moist as I would like, was it the oil possibly that I cut back on the cause of them being a little dry?

Did I possibly over mix the dry ingredients, would that cause them to be dry?

Honored Contributor

Bran muffins are tricky in that they sound like a healthy choice because of the bran, when in actuality, they are very high in fat and calories. You can try using 1/8 cup oil and 4 oz. of applesauce, but if you do, be sure to cut back a bit on the sugar. Also, as you know, be careful not to over mix. Not sure if your recipe included raisins, but I always add them to mine. I think the raisins add a bit of moisture.

Now you did it… now I have to make some tomorrow morning. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor
On 7/28/2014 house_cat said:

Bran muffins are tricky in that they sound like a healthy choice because of the bran, when in actuality, they are very high in fat and calories. You can try using 1/8 cup oil and 4 oz. of applesauce, but if you do, be sure to cut back a bit on the sugar. Also, as you know, be careful not to over mix. Not sure if your recipe included raisins, but I always add them to mine. I think the raisins add a bit of moisture.

Now you did it… now I have to make some tomorrow morning. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

thanks!

i did cut back on the sugar and should of added the applesauce and I did put in raisins, will have to try them again next week.

I will increase the oil, add the applesauce and not over mix...I think I was tired last night and just wanted to get them done...that's not a good thing at all.

Honored Contributor
Over mixing causes muffins to be tough, not dry.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Actually, 1/4 cup of oil is not a lot for a recipe that makes 12 muffins. I would go back to using that amount.

Some of my muffin recipes call for 1/2 cup of oil or butter. If you use less than 1/4 cup you risk having dry or tough muffins.

Applesauce is a good substitute for oil.

Here is another idea. It's the original bran muffin recipe from the Kellogg's All Bran box. I made this all the years my kids were growing up, and they loved these muffins.

Bran Muffins - Original recipe from All Bran Cereal Box

Preheat oven to 400º. (*If your muffin pan is dark, use 375 degrees and bake muffins for 20-22 minutes.)

Grease 12 muffin cups, or spray with PAM. Or, you can use paper or foil liners.

Sift together:

1-1/4 cups flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup sugar

Set aside.

In large bowl, pour:

1-1/2 cups All Bran by Kelloggs

1-1/4 cups milk

Let set 2 minutes.

Add to the cereal mixture:

1 egg

1/4 cup oil

Next, add flour mixture, and stir only until moistened. Spoon into muffin tins.

Bake for 18-20 minutes.