Honored Contributor

If you could turn back time….

What is one way of life from the past, or one tradition that you wish was still around today?

I'll wait a while to add my own thoughts, as I don't want to steer this thread in any particular direction.

Thank you for sharing.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: If you could turn back time….

I miss my childhood summers....we watched tv for maybe an hour-remember, there were no 24 hour stations for adults-let alone kids...and the it was off for adventure....playing Kick the Can, swimming, going black berry picking and dreaming of the cobbler your mom would make...eating a slice of ice cold watermelon...making clothes and furniture for your Barbie (we weren't very good at it, but it kept us entertained for hours on end)....Whammo-playing with Silly Putty, and let's not forget Dunkin Yo Yos....reading, reading, and reading...

...and now we are surrounded by technology...we were in a restaurant the other day and I bore witness to a baby in diapers screaming for mom's IPad....

So, I guess it's not a tradition per se, but I miss the childhood of a simpler time, and it makes me sad that most children don't have those wonderful, simple times-and I'm probably wrong about this, but I don't think today's kids are as creative or imaginative as we were.

Poodlepet

Valued Contributor

I grew up in the 50's and 60's and I wish young people today were more respectful of authority and their elders. Some of things I've seen kids do today we wouldn't have dreamed of doing or saying. A little more respect for our fellow human beings would help this world a lot.

Honored Contributor

So, OP, you just want to toss a bomb into the crowd....and run....LOL

Super Contributor

I miss the creditcardless society we once had where you only bought something until you had to money for it. I think they called it time payments or layaway in some stores. I also miss the slowness of society that once was instead of this fast paced society now where you get everything instantly.

Honored Contributor

I don't miss much from the past except long-gone relatives. I sure wouldn't go back to living like we did in the 1960s. If you lived in a small town or city you had little access to books, cameras, or other items that you can get easily today. A lot of food was out of a box and what was fresh was pretty bland. Food was maybe good, but dull.

Now the world is at my fingertips! And so are spices, fresh seafood, exotic fruits, technology, music, and lots of other wonderful things! I would be bored to pieces living like the 1960s again! LOL!!! Oh, I miss my horses!

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 chrystaltree said:

So, OP, you just want to toss a bomb into the crowd....and run....LOL

Guilty, but I have a good reason. When I start a thread with my opinion, the entire thread winds up being about that. I wanted to see what you had to say first.

I agree with Poodlepet and could have written it myself. We have been pretty much t.v. free this summer and I don't miss it at all. I feel calmer and I'm much more active and productive. DH doesn't like missing his sports, but he's dealing with it. When I see the awful things that are on television, I really wonder about kids growing up these days. I think the world was better off before television.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I'm glad I grew up before video games. We played outside, rode our bicycles, climbed trees, caught crayfish in the stream.

Respected Contributor

I miss the days when you could go on vacation or anywhere, and there wasn't horrendous traffic and congestion , whether it be a beach, a campground, a theme park, a resort area, even movie theaters and restaurants......everything seems crowded anymore.
Honored Contributor

When I was growing up we played outside, most mom's were at home, my mom made my clothes, she cooked, on snowy days she took home movies of my brother, dad, and I. We had very little tv time, and I think we were better off for it. I also miss the vacations in the mountains, seeing my dad drink a soda in a glass bottle and put peanuts in it. I miss my mom's laugh, and my dad turning our ice cream freezer by hand on our patio.