Respected Contributor

Many Seniors live alone, what are some snacks for 1 ??

A friend asked me about snacks for one, other than nuts and fruits. Thanks for helping me out. Many brains are better than just mine!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Many Seniors live alone, what are some snacks for 1 ??

shelled edamame

cheese and crackers (Babybel cheeses are a good size)

protein or granola bars

single serve applesauce

yogurt

hummus and crackers/veggies

celery and peanut or almond butter

baby carrots

wasabi peas

Esteemed Contributor

How "snacky" doe she want it....I keep Kind Bars in the house...dark chocolate/peanut butter...buy them at Walmart....cheapest that I have found....they are great snacks...

Then, of course, if we are not Health Conscious...there is chips and ice cream...:0)

Respected Contributor

I'm going to make a list of all the ideas and give it to her. She does a program at the Senior Center and wanted some other foods other than fruits and nuts.

KEEP THE IDEAS COMING!!!!

Respected Contributor

Almost anything can be a snack for one. For instance, Kashi has different kinds of bars in a box of 6, they are individually packaged so you only eat one. Ice cream can be for one, just scope out what you want and put the rest in the freezer or get individually wrapped ice cream bars. A lot of companies are doing these snack packs that have 100 calories per package and there is a big selection of them.

There are a lot of choices out there both good and bad.

Super Contributor

- Mini sized CLIF bars

- Individual packets of Barney Almond Butter on crackers/veggies

- Blueberry Fig Newtons

- Hummus and pita chips

- OUTSHINE frozen fruit/veggie bars

FYI, I would never suggest KIND bars to seniors. Those things could easily break a crown or aging teeth. JMO.

Honored Contributor

I've lived alone for many years and have never thought of needing special snacks for 1. I just buy whatever I like in an appropriate quantity. At this time of year, I'll even buy a whole water melon, cut it up in chunks and put it on Lock & Lock containers in the refrigerator and snack on that a couple of times a day. Lasts me about a week.

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 Krimpette said:

I've lived alone for many years and have never thought of needing special snacks for 1. I just buy whatever I like in an appropriate quantity. At this time of year, I'll even buy a whole water melon, cut it up in chunks and put it on Lock & Lock containers in the refrigerator and snack on that a couple of times a day. Lasts me about a week.

This.

I like popcorn, cherub tomatoes and hummus, peanut butter, yogurt, Kim's Magic Pop with peanut butter or hazelnut spread, pita chips and hummus, gourmet cheese and crackers, string cheese, etc.

Honored Contributor

hard boiled egg

cottage cheese

roasted chickpeas

popcorn

stuffed avocado

olives

graham crackers with nut butter

cherry or grape tomatoes

sliced jicama

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure anything you buy is suitable for single person. You just don't buy big family packs of things and you make/store single servings so it's easy to just grab and go.