Respected Contributor

O/T What to get person from England from the States?

My son has a friend coming over from England to visit and I will be meeting her. I just wondered if there was anything here that they don't have over there that she might like. I know this is pretty general, but thought you ladies, guys might have some ideas.

She has 3 children, pre teen to teen, and is a teacher. It can't be anything large, but it can be anything, literally. From school supplies, folders with certain bands or characters to beauty or non perishable foods to anything. A football jersey - I don't know, so I'm just putting it out there!

Thanks for any suggestions - I know some of you are from England, so would appreciate any suggestions. Am putting this over on the Beauty forum also.

THANK YOU!

Respected Contributor

Re: O/T What to get person from England from the States?

How about some unique locally made Christmas ornaments?

We had visitors from abroad and after there visit we send them a box of ornaments from Hershey PA, Lancaster county and Philly (we visited Central PA). She cried when she got them and tells me she remembers the trip fondly every Christmas. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Some sort of sports shirt or something from the ""local"" pro or college team. They have tons of cute merchandise now.

I wouldn't do a Christmas ornament unless you know she/her family celebrates and puts up trees etc. Not everyone does that.

Valued Contributor

That is an interesting question. I would say maybe an American Flag pin or something having to do with our flag. Posters of things related to cities or states since she is a teacher would be nice.

Super Contributor

My mom is in England and she had never seen Swedish fish before. I mean the candy, not the lutefisk Smile

Honored Contributor

A dentist appointment?

I would get her something that is local to your area.

Respected Contributor

I have a pin that is the US flag and English flag together. i keep it on my red coat and wear it in the winter. She might like that.
Respected Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Abrowneyegirl said:

How about some unique locally made Christmas ornaments?

We had visitors from abroad and after there visit we send them a box of ornaments from Hershey PA, Lancaster county and Philly (we visited Central PA). She cried when she got them and tells me she remembers the trip fondly every Christmas. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I think this is a great idea.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/27/2014 brewhaha said:

A dentist appointment?

I would get her something that is local to your area.

Oh good lord. I spit out my water. I pictured Mike Meyers in Austin Powers.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I am trying to keep politics and holidays out of it, something local would be the Green Bay Packers or the Brewers - I live in WI! Maybe a cheese head??!!!

Maybe Swedish Fish, but I wouldn't want her to have to have another dentist appointment (shame on you, brewhaha, lol!)

Thanks for your ideas so far - I appreciate them!