Esteemed Contributor

Best corn on the cob ever. She added sugar to the water.

Had corn on the cob last night at a friend's house and it was amazing. Turns out she tossed just a single packet of sugar into the boiling water along with a handful of salt. It didn't taste sweet and it didn't taste salty--just a very tasty corn flavor.

I've never tried this. Have you?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Re: Best corn on the cob ever. She added sugar to the water.

I have always added sugar to water if I am boiling corn. Also I do not cook it to death. Corn only takes a couple of minutes.

Honored Contributor

yes, i do this all the time.....some salt, some sugar, and a bit of half and half to the boiling water. delicious!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I always put sugar in the water when cooking corn as it brings out the flavor of the corn and makes sweet corn especially delicious. If you put a little sugar in any vegetable you cook it will do the same thing. You don't have to put much in but if you are cooking a vegetable like Brussel sprouts it will cut any bitterness there might be.

Super Contributor

I've been adding sugar to the boiling water but not salt. I'll try both next time.
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/27/2014 sunshine45 said:

yes, i do this all the time.....some salt, some sugar, and a bit of half and half to the boiling water. delicious!

What's this about?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

I was raised in the Midwest (Corn Country) - Mother always boiled corn in milk & sugar added to that big pot of water on the stove - brings out the natural sweetness.

Respected Contributor

We've always done this. Some salt,some sugar, and don't boil it too long. We usually boil about five minutes, unless the kernels are very tiny, and then we reduce the time a bit. I've never heard of trying the half and half, though, and will try it next time.

Respected Contributor

Yes, my mom always added a splash of milk and sugar, and so I always have too. OP is right...no sugar taste, just brings out the corn's natural sweetness. Yummy. And like another poster said...don't need to cook long, for me I always do 5-8 minutes. One of the joys of summer is sweet, farmer's stand corn (along with sweet watermelon!)
Trusted Contributor

Never heard of adding sugar, but I'm going to try it! How much sugar do you add?