Respected Contributor

The most expensive nonstick skillet beaten by the budget brand?

I subscribe to America's Test Kitchen and this month they reviewed nonstick skillets. In case you don't have a subscription, I thought I'd pass along the results of their test of 12" skillets. Seems the T-Fal beat out the All-Clad, but cost over $150 less (depending on who's selling it.) Cuh---RAZY!

I use a 12" skillet for a lot of cooking--in fact, it's my most used pan, so it was astonishing to me that the one that is SIX times as much works better and doesn't have the coating wear off.

I think that subscription just paid for itself...

Honored Contributor

Re: The most expensive nonstick skillet beaten by the budget brand?

So the one that costs six times as much doesn't work better??

Respected Contributor

I use the T-fal one bought from Walmart. It has the red dot in the middle. Those pans are awesome. I have two of them.

Valued Contributor

T-Fal is the best in this kitchen! I found the 12 inch and 8 inch in a set at Target for under $40. I noticed this is what the Test Kitchen actually use, mine have the red thermo dot and stainless steel handles. The other pan I use for eggs only is an 8inch Scan Pan 8inch which is a great pan but more expensive. When the non stick on the T-Fal gets old i can replace.

I have had expensive non-stick and not so expensive. Eventually the non-stick GOES.

CAT

Respected Contributor

I'm still using some T-Fal I purchased over 30 years ago. And I loved the Amoral set I purchased from Q. Not sure why they stopped selling it.

Honored Contributor

Sorry but I put little confidence in what that group says. I have had all clad non stick a long long time and they are great. The quality is far better overall than t-fal. T-fal is ok, but I sure wouldn't compare it to All Clad.

Super Contributor

I bought 2 T-Fal skillets because of America's Test kitchen reviews. I also had an all clad that I had for about 2 months and was no longer non stick. The all clad gave out in 2 months and here 6 years later, my T-Fal is still going strong. I highly recommend them. Yes they are inexpensive, but they last and last. I do believe all clad makes amazing pans, but they fall short in the non stick catagory. JMO...

Contributor

I have had a set of T-Fal cookware for well over 20 years, and the non stick interiors are still in great condition. I know that they were made in France when I got my set. I don't know if that is still true.

Honored Contributor

I have one small non stick pan for certain items. I use stainless from USA and LeCreuset from France. Once you master how to use stainless it is easy to cook in. I even cook fried eggs in stainless with non stick pan results.

Price doesn't always make it the best. T Fal is a little light for me,as it has a lot of aluminum. I had T Fal sets galore in the past. All non stick wears out. I take excellent care of my pan, and it never lasts more than 2 years or so no matter what I have paid.

Frequent Contributor

I actually watch americas test kitchen every week on PBS. It is hands down the best cooking show out there in my opinion. Anyway I saw the epsiode with the skillet testing.. and T Fal got chosen as best skillet, but it was the T Fal proffessional skillet not the basic T fal. I just wanted to clear that up as there is a little difference between the two. The TFal proffesional is still a great price though.