Honored Contributor

Never mind - this would have been one of the stupidest questions ever posted here.

Pardon me for this interruption. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Never mind - this would have been one of the stupidest questions ever posted here.

Reading the recipe below it look s like you partly bake the cupcakes and the add the topping and finish baking

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups or lightly coat muffin cups with nonstick spray for baking; set pan aside.
In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 3/4 cup sugar. Beat on medium to high speed for 1 minute. Add egg, egg yolks, raspberry liqueur, and vanilla; beat until combined. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Bake for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, wash beaters thoroughly.
For meringue:

In a medium bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
Pipe or spoon meringue on top of cupcakes. If desired, place a raspberry on top of each cupcake, pressing into meringue. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes more or until meringue is lightly browned.
Cool cupcakes in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool slightly. Serve warm. (Or cover loosely and chill for up to 4 hours before serving.) Makes 12 cupcakes.
Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Never mind - this would have been one of the stupidest questions ever posted here.

Okay, Ox… I guess my question wasn't so dumb after all? This can be done. After I posted it, I did a little Googling and realized that meringue had to be baked. You would think I'd know that by now. If I had asked the question sooner, your answer would have been my ticket to something really special. As it is, the cupcakes are already baked. I will try this another time - I love, love, LOVE lemon cake.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Sorry, but I don't understand the OP or the post by Usedtobeoxox. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

On 7/25/2014 Barbarainnc said:

Sorry, but I don't understand the OP or the post by Usedtobeoxox. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I'm sorry, Barbara. I had originally asked if I could top cupcakes with meringue. After researching I realized what I should have known, that meringue has to be baked. I tried to retract the question, but Ox had already seen it. It turns out, there is a way to do it if you plan ahead.. which I didn't do.

I'm sorry if this thread is confusing everyone.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Thanks for clearing this up, I was in the fog with this post!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Hi house cat, enjoy your day!
Honored Contributor

On 7/25/2014 Tissyanne said: Hi house cat, enjoy your day!

You too! And everyone else! I have a really busy day so I'm gonna get off my butt and get moving. See you all later!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

My mom used to make a sort of meringue-pie. She baked the meringue in a pie dish and filled it with a key lime filling topped with whipped cream. People loved it. I do not like meringue myself. Too sweet.

Honored Contributor

And remember MS SoCal House Cat, there's never a stupid question. Sometimes you just need a different perspective, then it all makes sense.