Respected Contributor

July 24 Today is NATIONAL TEQUILA DAY !!!

I've never tried it. When we went to Texas, we stopped at a rest stop that sold Tequila Lollipops, the ones with the worm in them.

I've seen on TV, where the drinks have the worm in the bottom of the glass, OH MY {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

Re: July 24 Today is NATIONAL TEQUILA DAY !!!

Hava tequila.....hava tequila......ve' nismecha

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Very cute DesertdiSmiley Happy.

Hi Barbarainnc,

A tequila lollipop with a worm in it?...... no.......That is really a mescal lollipop.

True tequila does not have worms in the bottle.

If a worm is in a bottle it is not true tequila, it is mescal.

Here is some information about it:

http://www.access2knowledge.org/featured/why-do-tequila-bottles-have-worms/

With a long legacy dating back 2,000 years, tequila was first commercialized in 1656 by Jose Cuervo. By the late nineteenth century, the potent alcoholic drink was imported into the United States and started growing the international popularity it continues to enjoy to this day. While most tequila fans fully appreciate the strong smoky taste and power of tequila, most of us have no idea why tequila bottles have worms in them. Where this tradition has come from?

Mezcal with a jar of

Mezcal with a jar of “worms”

First of all, it is important to realize that there is actually no worm in tequila bottles. All high-quality premium brands of tequila (and even the cheaper brands you find at the liquor store) will never feature a wiggling little critter inside its bottle. True imbibers of the alcohol can attest to the fact that worms are only found in tequila’s lower-class sister, which is known as mescal.

I also am a lover of good Tequila, especially a top premium grade like DeLeon Extra Anejo Tequila also referred to as DeLeon 51........ which is always a favorite for very special occasions.

I also love to have different drinks using tequila, and I also love to cook with good tequila, as the finished dish is very tasty with just a hint of tequila.

Honored Contributor

My husband drinks tequila & OJ. I don't mind it but I usually don't grab for it when I fix myself a cocktail. He drinks Hornitos Reposado Nuestro (light amber). He works with many Mexicanos (they're all landscapers) - they tell him Hornitos is one of the best - must be b/c it's pretty top shelf expensive.

Trusted Contributor

FINALLY! A day for me! Love my tequila!

My sister and I will mix some margaritas, take them out by the pool at night, and sit and relax. (And sometimes we do that without the margaritas, too.)

Trusted Contributor

Well, I guess we don't need a bunch of recipe ideas today!!!!! LOL

Trusted Contributor

Yea! Salute!

Super Contributor

Yea, love me some Tequila! Special shout out to my buddy Jose Cuervo, lol.
Regular Contributor

Ok, I like Tequila sometimes but I don't want a bottle with a worm in it. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Can't imagine why it would need to be there. My margaritas and medori sours taste just great with what I use.

Respected Contributor

adoreqvc, thanks for straightening me out!!!!