Valued Contributor

Any one try pizza in the Rangemate with raw pizza dough?

When you do grilled pizza they tell you to grill the crust first with nothing on it, and then flip it over and add your toppings. I guess it would be the same on the rangemate as you really don't have the surrounding heat that you do in an oven. Would love to add the topping on top of the raw dough but don't think that would work. Has anyone tried pizza with dough you made yourself? I bought a pizza crust mix and wanted to try it. I tried pizza with ready made crusts and naan bread and they were awesome. BTW, I have a 700 watt microwave, and with these as a base 6 minutes was perfect, with a bit of light charring on the bottom of the crust.

Valued Contributor

Re: Any one try pizza in the Rangemate with raw pizza dough?

No one tried this? Really love pizza, so I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig :-)! I will try it both ways, but I think I at least have to start heating the crust first, before the toppings.

Valued Contributor

Re: Any one try pizza in the Rangemate with raw pizza dough?

Well, no one replied so I guess I was the guinea pig. Anyway, I'm back to report SUCCESS! I used the Weisenberger pizza crust mix. All you need to do is add hot water, mix with a fork, add a bit of oil to the dough ball and let it rise. I formed it in the bottom of the Rangemate and cooked it for 5 minutes and then turned it over. I then added my toppings, added a bit of oil to the edges, and cooked it for another 5 minutes. The bottom was crispy and the crust chewy. it wasn't quite like a pizzeria pizza, but it was close and the crust was very good. It even browned on the top edges a bit. I have a 700 watt oven, and next time will cook with the toppings for 4 1/2 minutes as the crust was a little charred on the bottom.

This is really easy, and the results are great. Better than the naan bread I was using as a crust. One package makes two 8" crusts. Give it a try! You can even make the crusts in advance to have them ready as needed. No muss, no fuss and easy cleanup!