Respected Contributor

Anyone Watching the Next Food Network Star?

I'm not really crazy about any of the contestants or their culinary skills, though I must say, Luca is very easy on the eyes..{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} What do you all think of the show this year?

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone Watching the Next Food Network Star?

No true breakout stars, but glad Luca is back and he is much improved!
Super Contributor

Sigh. Yes, I'm watching, ciao, though I really don't know why. Just bored, I suppose.

I'm finding it hard to like the judges, and have been particularly disappointed in Alton Brown lately. He's lost his...soul? Maybe that's too harsh, but he'd be the 1st one to tell a contestant to stick to who they are, while he himself has left behind the goofy, boyishness which made him endearing. It was a nice counterpoint to his scientific egg-headed-ness. Now, he just seems like a dour and disapproving old schoolmaster. All he's missing is a pointer to rap the contestants knuckles with.

I think they all like the cowboy this season. (The ex beauty queen looked a little 'off' when she wore a tiara during the Vega poolside challenge. She'd better lose that thing!)

Super Contributor

Until I started watching NFNS a few years ago, I never realized what a "mean streak" Alton had... I like the butcher chick, and yes, the judges seem to favor the cowboy....no one really jumps out at me....
Super Contributor

I also think that the cowboy is ahead in this competition. I don't really care for any of them. Did you see the foods they were supposed to test? $777 for a burger, $1000 for a sundae. I can't imagine going out and paying that for a meal.
Honored Contributor

Yes...Luca is easy on eyes.....

Not really excited about any of the contestants though.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I so agree with all of you. Alton Brown is showing a completely different side that is not very appealing. I do think they're favoring the cowboy as well. At least it's not the blonde from Texas (not sure of her name). She thinks she's all it!!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

What bugs me the most is that they seem to focus more on personality, or on someone being a personality, way more than the food itself....but that's what wrong w/ the FoodNetwork, which also lost it's way years ago.

I want to learn something! Give me Sarah Moulton absentmindedly de-boning a turkey while taking & answering phone calls from viewers, or Julia Child whipping up a souffle any day! They were entertaining, yes, but above all, informative. They made me feel that yes, I can do that.

Regular Contributor

I like watching this show too, and I agree that Alton Brown seems to have changed somewhat, and I just don't like watching him anymore. He can be gruff, in a cruel like way. Seems like his new growth on his face has changed him and not for the better! No one is jumping out at me either yet, but the more I see the cowboy, I almost can see some kind of a western, barbeque, trail cook, etc. kind of program designed around him. He kind of looks the cowboy theme. No one else is coming across with anything to me so far. We'll just have to wait and see. Seems like when it gets to the end, it's a big surprise to me because the winner is someone I never would have thought would win the thing!!

Respected Contributor

I think the show needs to stop the stupid gimmicks and let these contestants cook....and present their food in short segments. Sabatini2,what a great observation about Alton Brown.I couldn't put my finger on what was so unappealing about him on this show. I used to love him on Good Eats. He acts like he was weaned on a pickle ...he gives stank face if he doesn't like something and acts so arrogant. I wouldn't watch any of these people on a show. Oh why do I even watch,I ask myself? I started it and gives I just want to see which DUD comes out top DUD! Lol