Super Contributor

Could anyone please give me some advice please. I purchased a bunch of cherries at the farmer's market on Saturday, Bing and Ranier and they are sweet and delicious, but too much for me to eat them all. I have washed them and kept them in the fridge, but I am wondering if they will be good if I freeze them. I've frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, but never cherries. Do I need to pit them first? Will they be mushy when I thaw them? I could bake a pie with them, but it's just me, so again it will be too much and I don't want them to go to waste. Would appreciate and tips or suggestions.

Frequent Contributor

I buy frozen cherries and they are pitted. They do get mushy when thawed, but I like to snack on them frozen. You could make that huge cherry cobbler you've been promising yourself!! Yum. Use those puppies. They don't keep for long fresh.

Valued Contributor
They get mushy as they thaw and lose their flavor. I love cherries, too! So, as the OP said, I buy frozen for ice cream making etc. but, if you do decide to freeze, slice, pit and be prepared to make a cherry smoothie and bake a pie or add to a breakfast bread. Good luck!
Super Contributor

Bummer... I was worried they would be mushy if I froze them. I guess I will be eating lots of cherries in the next couple days. Although a cherry cobbler sounds like a good idea too.

Respected Contributor

I think this may be a little redundant to most cooks,but I didn't know it until a few years ago.If you do freeze,lay them single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze.Then put them into a Ziploc.They stay more individual and not a clip. Then you can pull out a few for a smoothie,or for oatmeal,or a pie. Otherwise they are a frozen hunk .

Honored Contributor

I just enjoy each fruit when it is in season and then move on to the next!

Pit them before you freeze them and then use them in smoothies or baking.

Cherries are a wonderful natural anti-inflammatory.

Super Contributor

There is nothing like fresh cherries!

I froze some for the first time last week, just a portion to see how they would thaw. I plan to mix them in my yogurt. I pitted them first.