Respected Contributor

Greek Yogurt make at home recipe

Here is a make at home Greek Yogurt recipe pretty close to my family's Greek make at home yogurt recipe which a QVC member requested, so I thought to also post it for anyone else who may be interested.

I usually double or triple the recipe because I always use more than 2 cups.

Homemade Greek Yogurt.

An easy recipe for making homemade Greek yogurt.

It always turns out so fresh tasting and delicious.

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2013/08/27/diy-homemade-greek-yogurt/

/></strong></p> <div class=

Yield: 2 cups

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 15 hours

Ingredients:

4 cups low-fat milk (not ultra-pasteurized)
¼ cup plain 2% Greek yogurt

Directions:

1. Place a fine-mesh strainer over a large glass bowl; set aside. Heat the milk over medium-low heat (do not stir while heating), until the milk reaches 185 degrees F. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to 160 degrees F. Strain the milk through the prepared strainer and let cool, gently stirring occasionally, until the milk registers 110 to 112 degrees F.

greek-yogurt-prep1

2. In a small bowl, gently stir about ½ cup of the warm milk into the yogurt until smooth. Stir the yogurt mixture back into the milk. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and poke several holes in the plastic. Place the bowl in the oven and turn on the oven light, creating a warm environment of 100 to 110 degrees F. Let the yogurt sit undisturbed until thickened and set, 5 to 7 hours. Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator until completely chilled, at least 3 hours.

greek-yogurt-prep2

3. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a 4-cup or 8-cup measuring cup and line with a double layer of coffee filters or cheesecloth. Transfer the yogurt to the prepared strainer, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until about 2 cups of liquid have drained into the measuring cup, about anywhere from 4 to 8 hours (I left mine for a long time and it plateaued at about 1.5 cups).

greek-yogurt-prep3

Transfer the strained yogurt to an airtight container or jar, discarding the strained liquid. The yogurt can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.

Respected Contributor

Re: Greek Yogurt make at home recipe

Thanks so mcuh for posting the recipe. I just love Greek Yogurt. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Your are very welcome Barbarainnc.......enjoy itSmiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

I just got the Dash yogurt maker and was looking to try it first with cows milk and then maybe almond or coconut milk as my fam doesn't really eat any dairy. Will try this ---thanks!

Respected Contributor

You're very welcome wagirl.

Honored Contributor

OK---I made my first batch of yogurt yesterday and it is now yogurt cheese---I started the process way too late in the day and ended the process an hour before it was ready, drained it into the strainer and went to bed. It's only supposed to strain for a couple hours but I left it over night. I used 2% milk. But it is delicious!!! Not tangy or sour; will need to be jazzed up with herbs and such, but yummy.

Honored Contributor

On 7/24/2014 wagirl said:

OK---I made my first batch of yogurt yesterday and it is now yogurt cheese---I started the process way too late in the day and ended the process an hour before it was ready, drained it into the strainer and went to bed. It's only supposed to strain for a couple hours but I left it over night. I used 2% milk. But it is delicious!!! Not tangy or sour; will need to be jazzed up with herbs and such, but yummy.

wagirl if you WANT it to be more sour (which is the way i like it) i leave my yogurt in the warm environment for 24 hours before i refrigerate it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the recipe. I just bookmarked it so I can come back to it when I decide to make this.

Respected Contributor

Hi Wagirl,

I am so happy you made it!

You can jazz it up with spices.

I prefer dried mint and dill in my yogurt because I love that flavor combination, but you can add whatever you like, and sunshine45 gave a nice suggestion as well.

Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

Hi BaileyBop,

You are so very welcome.

I am glad you will try the recipe, it is truly delicious, so refreshing and fresh tasting.

I hope you also enjoy it!