Honored Contributor

All food handlers (including the hosts) should wear protective gloves

It is so disgusting to see them with the food all over their hands and fingers, and then some of them even lick their fingers. It's the main reason I can't watch any food shows (including non-QVC food shows).

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

Re: All food handlers (including the hosts) should wear protective gloves

ITA Ford. It's pretty disgusting.

Respected Contributor

They are not preparing the food for others consumption, per se, but more as to appear like a family get-together. I don't wear hair nets and gloves when I cook for my family.

Honored Contributor

I absolutely agree that gloves should be worn by anyone handling food.

Respected Contributor

I'll bet most of the crew don't care when they dig in off-camera. I was channel-surfing yesterday & paused a moment during ITKWD show. Whoever the vendor was had just taken a taste from a spoon & put it back into the pot on the stove. That was a big turn-off to me, but then I wasn't going to eat any of whatever it was so I guess it doesn't matter.

Valued Contributor

Since the food handling on QVC is mainly for presentation/demonstration purposes, I wouldn't get concerned about it at all. We should be more concerned about what we don't see that goes on in some restaurant kitchens...
Respected Contributor

Isn't it astonishing that so many billions of people (including us) have survived to adulthood even though we grew up in an era when food preparers didn't use plastic gloves?

Trusted Contributor

I am surprised too, FunkyHulaGirl. After all, my Mom and Nana and Nonnie all used tables, wooden boards to make pasta, iron pans that were never washed. We had no helmets, car seats and for cryin' out loud, no seat belts. (That's when we had cars which was later) We went out to play after breakfast, came home for lunch, went back out until the street lights came on for dinner. No one seemed to know where we were but I bet you that some neighbor had their eyes on us. I look back and am amazed that we survived. Don't know how we did it.

Super Contributor

Gloves only 'work' on thinking people.

Some idiots think that the gloves are there to protect their own hands, so they'll clean some chicken, open a door to the reach-in, brush some sweat from a forehead, grab a piece of fish to cut, etc....all while wearing that same pair of gloves.

Clueless.

Respected Contributor

On 7/21/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

Isn't it astonishing that so many billions of people (including us) have survived to adulthood even though we grew up in an era when food preparers didn't use plastic gloves? Wink

LOL! Not only that, but we put the frozen meat in the sink to thaw out while we were at work/school (not during the summer, though) & didn't think twice about touching the grocery store cart handles bare-handed. 66 now & never had a food-borne illness.

p.s. we had to wear hairnets in home ec, & I had to wear a hair net in my first job working in a burger place when I was 18, but no latex gloves.