Valued Contributor

how do you manage to fit everything in your fridge after shopping at Costco?

Maybe I should get another refrigerator to put in the garage? I love Costco, but everything is so big! Does anyone else have this problem?
Honored Contributor

Re: how do you manage to fit everything in your fridge after shopping at Costco?

Exactly why we no longer shop there. When my kids were little, I had an extra fridge. Now, with only one, I can't shop like that.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Re: how do you manage to fit everything in your fridge after shopping at Costco?

I know what you mean... I really need two refrigerators just to store all my vegetables. It is just Hubby and I, so I rarely buy huge amounts of things. I will stock up only on what I know I would end up buying for more at Safeway... lettuce, spinach, avocado, broccoli, etc. I suppose if your family was big, it might be a good investment to pay the extra electric bill to run a second refrigerator. The savings may pay to run it.

Respected Contributor

I have a very small refrigerator/freezer and no place for a second unit, so I don't buy what won't fit. For some fresh fruits and vegetables, my neighbor and I will share which makes the size just about right for us.

Trusted Contributor

I buy fresh food from Costco when I am having a party. Otherwise, I don't buy their huge quantities of fresh food. Sometimes I buy the fruit because that will get eaten by the family within a week.

Trusted Contributor

I'm an organizing fool but this works for me. I don't buy too many perishables from Costco, they don't last. The only exception is cucumbers, tomatoes and the romaine. I usually clean the romaine and then prepare them so all I have to do is take them out of the bags I put them in. I do a lot of pre-preparation so my fruit and veggies last.

I have asmall extra refrigerator so I can keep drinks and wine in. My extra freezer keeps all of my organic meat that I separate and put in food saver packaging. I also go to the farmers market and I buy my fruit and veggies weekly. Yes, its just me but I find if I clean and pre-prepare foods, they last and I can store them for myself and any guests who are visiting.

Super Contributor

I have two, and I still can't fit everything most of the time.. It does help to take frozen things out of boxes, cut out the instructions, and put them all in freezer type ziplock bags...
Esteemed Contributor

We have a large fridge but not quite enough freezer space. I buy the meats frequently. I cut the packages of chicken breasts, thighs or ground turkey so I can squeeze them into different parts of the freezer.

I bought the 5 pound bag of garlic cloves last week. I plan on going through that pretty quickly.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I don't shop there anymore because there are only two of us and I live in a hurricane area so I don't want more in my fridge/freezer than I can afford to lose. When we had dogs I shopped there to get better prices and larger sizes for dog food and treats, though I also bought paper products and canned goods, and occasionally meats. Now i never have more in the house than 4 or 5 days worth at a time. We are retired and have the time to shop often.

Trusted Contributor

I wish we had a Costco closer to us. We only have a Sam's Club and I won't shop there. I really do like Costco, but the distance doesn't make it worthwhile.