Respected Contributor

Do you prepare dishes that you won't eat?

The salmon thread got me to thinking about this....

Are there recipes that you prepare for guests or for others that you won't eat yourself?

I made a salmon mousse for a party I gave, and - being new to canned salmon - was turned off by the bits and pieces of "tubes" that I had to pick out. The mousse was a huge success, and my guests loved it, but I didn't care to try it.

I also make things with pumpkin and walnuts, but don't eat either things made with either one. One of my most requested cookies pecan pie bars; my chocolate pecan pie is also popular with my friends. I won't eat any of them.

Super Contributor

Re: Do you prepare dishes that you won't eat?

Well, I don't like salmon, butternut squash, or cantaloupe, but will prepare it for others.

I think I don't like orange foods. Though I do like carrots & oranges! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

No, I don't. I figure the rest of the world can eat one healthy meal prepared by me and then get right back to eating junk.

Honored Contributor

I had to when I was taking care of an elderly parent

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I had to laugh at your canned salmon "tubes"... you mean the spine? Perhaps you should try using a fresh piece of salmon next time, it's not so traumatic as the canned stuff. Smile I cannot recall making anything for guests that I would not eat myself, but there is not much I do not like, and if I don't like it, it's a good bet my guests wouldn't either. If there were something that had an ingredient in it that I didn't like, it would not stop me from preparing it for my guests. The big part of entertaining is making sure your friends or family enjoys what they are eating regardless of whether it is to your taste. For example, if someone asked me to make a specific dish that had ingredients I absolutely hated, I would happily make it for them knowing they would enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

No, I wouldn't prepare it if I didn't eat it.

Super Contributor

Yes, there are things that my DH and family like to eat that I don't eat. But I purchase the items and make their favorite foods because it makes them happy.
Respected Contributor

can't stand chicken but I fix it for family. Actually I try to eat very little meat.

Honored Contributor

Sure, I do.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Yes. I have made my husband chicken gizzards as he loves them. To me, they are so disgusting. He was raised in Arkansas and will eat anything and everything but vienna sausages. I am grossed out, but I will cook them for him. He puts hot sauce on them. I'd starve for 2 days before I'd eat them, and I hate to be hungry.

And, I have made other dishes for people I won't eat. I don't cook often , but I have made pasta dishes that I won't eat and beef --which I don't care for much. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't care much for beef, and I won't eat veal or any organ meats. I'm very picky.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"