Trusted Contributor

I made pizza dough in my food processor, same recipe I always use, but I guess I over-kneaded it, because I can't spread it. I went to the store and bought emergency pizza crust mix to use for now. Does anyone have any ideas what to do with the dough I made? I hate to throw it out. TIA.

Contributor

Re: Over-kneaded pizza dough

I usually let my homemade dough rest for 10-15 minutes on the pan, spread it out some, let it rest again, and then spread again. It doesn't have the elasticity you need right out of the mixer.

Honored Contributor

A local pizza shop sells baked dough balls that are seasoned with butter, garlic, oregano and basil; they are very yummy.

Respected Contributor

I recently discovered that Trader Joe's sells pizza dough for CHEAP!

Respected Contributor

I just researched this on the web and my head is spinning-but most people are saying it's far easier to under knead than to over knead. In my experience when I have used the processor for kneading, I process the dough just until a ball forms. I check it or elasticity: if I poke it, it should bounce back. If it does not, I take the dough out and knead by hand and I let it rest. For whatever reason, my processor does a good job but not quite as good as my stand mixer.

At any rate, if dough is over unleaded, the only cure seems to be letting it rest.

Poodlepet

Honored Contributor

My grandma used to deep fry the pizza dough and then sprinkle them with seasonings before they were cooled. If it happened to me, I'd be better off throwing it away than eating all those calories.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

How about letting your bread machine do the work?

Honored Contributor

Paint them and make Christmas ornaments

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

One last thought-I never make any kind of yeast bread without Vital Wheat Gluton-and I use it whether or not the recipe calls for it. When I don't use it I seem to have issues.

Poodlepet

Respected Contributor

cinnamon rolls? I don't knead pizza dough much, everything I've ever learned is that it spreads better not. It really doesn't need to raise much. Bread however I knead 3 times.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*