Honored Contributor

I'm exhausted from our gnocchi fiasco!

I decided to take my 89 year old mom from her apartment today to spend the afternoon here with me at my house. I've never done that because we don't like leaving Dad alone for too long. He promised he'd be fine, stay put and watch the ballgame. He was fine.

We weren't. We attempted to make gnocchi, something my mom made many times during her 60 year marriage. Well, she forgot how to do it and I made a terrible mess of it. We had a pleasant afternoon, but when I got back from delivering her back home, I threw them all away. They were a sticky, gooey mess {#emotions_dlg.crying}

We were supposed to have those for dinner this Sunday, so now I'm hoping I can find some at the grocery store.

Has anyone made these? I had a great video, but mine didn't cooperate.

Here's the video if anyone is interested.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Re: I'm exhausted from our gnocchi fiasco!

I made ghocchi once before, with a group of people. We made a potato, a dessert and I can't remember the last type. It was good but very time consuming to make. We had fun visiting with each other while we made the ghocchi. Sounds like you had an enjoyable afternoon with your mom. My Mom told me that my grandmother use to make ghocchi from left over mashed potatoes. Good luck come Sunday with your meal. My best to you and your parents.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Tallgal. My intention was to spend some time with Mom and give her a change of scenery. That goal was successful even if the gnocchi were not.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I find gnocchi either at Trader Joes or at my local Kroger market in the rice section.

I'm happy your parents had a good day!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

house cat, my grandmother made them many times, and I remember helping her once when I was a teen.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Honny Brown. I'll send my husband to Kroger for them and if he can't find them we have a TJs nearby as well. thank you.

Marien, I hope yours turned out better than ours.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

house cat, they were delicious! Smiley Happy

I wish I remembered enough to be able to help you out. I haven't made it myself as an adult..I've eaten plenty, though!

You've inspired me though. I need to look up that recipe and try it.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

Sorry your gnocchi didn't turn out as planned!

Did you read some of the comments on the page under the video?

Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Good luck Sunday! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I used the recipe my mother gave me years ago. Her memory is failing, so she couldn't remember if the recipe was correct. In any case, we had a nice time and that's what counts. I have a bridal shower to attend today and on the way home I'm going to stop at the store for some gnocchi.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I have made gnocchi in a cooking class, the potatoes were pre cooked before we got there, I think the potatoes have to be very very soft for it to work

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.