Super Contributor

Just got a Fagor Halogen/Convection oven-Need Tips!!!

This is pretty much just like the NuWave oven. Interested in cooking things like chicken wings straight out of the freezer(need timing info). As well as knowing what everyone likes best in this type of oven. What do you cook that really works well? What would you NOT try again? And any general cooking tips for this strange ( to me) contraption?
Super Contributor

Re: Just got a Fagor Halogen/Convection oven-Need Tips!!!

I meant to say ""thanks!""
Respected Contributor

I would love to hear about your adventures with this. The convection part I can help you with, the halogen light.....hmmmm....I have a Nuwave Oven that I have not used yet, but it-and the instruction manual are at our weekend place which we will be leaving for shortly.

This oven really sounds like something found in a restaurant: have you tried researching it?

Poodlepet

Super Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Poodlepet said:

I would love to hear about your adventures with this. The convection part I can help you with, the halogen light.....hmmmm....I have a Nuwave Oven that I have not used yet, but it-and the instruction manual are at our weekend place which we will be leaving for shortly.

This oven really sounds like something found in a restaurant: have you tried researching it?

Poodlepet

There is a pretty good demo video on You Tube, but I am looking for more practical tips....
Esteemed Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have had two halogen/convection ovens - one that was a Nu-wave precursor, another that was a toaster oven footprint. I quit using both of them over time, as they both did the same thing, to a greater or lesser degree. They have a tendency to get food over- browned, crisped, burned, etc. and the middle of the food may not be hot or not entirely cooked. They used to advise putting aluminum foil over some foods/areas when using these devices. It really depends on what type of food you're cooking - frozen pork chops might be great; a package of pizza rolls, for example, might not be. I also never found that food cooked all that much faster than an oven without either convection or halogen or both. I know there are people who love them; I never had a really good experience with them.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I made great salmon in mine. Brushed a little EVOO on then sprinkled on some dried dill and other seasoning and placed in a parchment lined pan (to make cleanup easier). Cooked at 400 degrees for about 10-12 minutes depending on the thickness of the salmon. Really delicious cooked this way, moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. Just make sure not to overcook. Also used it quite a bit for baking sweet potatoes.

I wrote this in the past tense as I've had 2 of these type of ovens and both stopped working, guess the motor burned out over time. As convenient as they were and as much as I liked what I cooked in them, I will not repurchase. I've been using the Ninja Multi-Cooker as my second "oven" now and really like it.

Super Contributor

So far I really like it! It's fast, keeps the kitchen cool and does a good job....