Respected Contributor

What Would You Do For A 3:30PM Birthday party

Hi ladies,

My DH Birthday is Friday and I invited just relatives so there will be around 8 of us just very small birthday my DH will be 62. When I invited them I said just cake and ice-cream but the more I am thinking about it seeing that it is later in the afternoon should I also have some food to offer. My husband says no but I think I should offer something other than cake and ice cream. What do you ladies think? I always get the best answers from this forum. TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Would You Do For A 3:30PM Birthday party

Chicken strips & veggie platter,

great finger food, no mess and small plates

Respected Contributor

Thank you!

Frequent Contributor

I think a few pizzas even cut into appetizer sized slices would be easy and nice or six foot subs cut into small sections would be good before the cake and ice cream Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Well since you said cake and ice cream, chances are the guests have already had lunch. I would offer some cocktails and maybe a cheese/cracker or shrimp platter, then serve the cake and ice cream about an hour or so after that.

Honored Contributor

How late do you expect them to stay? If it's 5:00 or later, people might be ready for dinner, so I would definitely serve something more substantial.

Honored Contributor

That is right in the afternoon, I wouldn't expect to be fed as it in between lunch and dinner.

Cake, ice cream, some fruit is perfect. Drinks soda, wine etc, coffee.

Frequent Contributor

I would serve finger food appetizers, a veggie tray, fruit tray, and birthday cake. Happy birthday to your DH!

Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 jackthebear said:

That is right in the afternoon, I wouldn't expect to be fed as it in between lunch and dinner.

I agree! ABSOLUTELY only things you need are the ice cream and cake, and tea and coffee--or lemonade and such. People don't need a pre-meal at this time of day. Enjoy the desserts and some fruit and concentrate on having a good time!

Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 Sooner said:
On 7/16/2014 jackthebear said:

I agree! ABSOLUTELY only things you need are the ice cream and cake, and tea and coffee--or lemonade and such. People don't need a pre-meal at this time of day. Enjoy the desserts and some fruit and concentrate on having a good time!

I also agree, what you originally planned is enough at this time of day.

"To each their own, in all things".