Super Contributor

Know Anything "For Sure" About What to Eat?

This morning, I saw an article about the risks of eating spinach for some people. Phooey! It got me to thinking there isn't a single thing to eat that I haven't read at least one article against eating it.

So I'm curious: based on your own personal experience (not a bunch of others' conflicting opinions) is there anything you know for sure that's always right for you?

For me, it's veggies. I find if I eat enough veggies, I feel good and can handle just about anything else. To be more specific, I guess I'd go with mostly steamed green veggies. But I bet this isn't true for everyone...what about you?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Know Anything ""For Sure"" About What to Eat?

Kay, I can't imagine what the risks were about spinach! My favorite food is green leaves, spinach among them! Gotta throw a little protein in there (a hard-cooked egg or chicken tender), and I'm good to go. I've also changed my breakfast a couple of years ago, and just eat nuts & fruit. Trying to down cups of green tea throughout the day! This all makes me ready for any marathon, be it physical or mental!

Super Contributor

Fresh sourdough bread and butter.

Honored Contributor

I'm fed up to here with all the negativity. Beef causes colon cancer. Chicken has salmonella. Fish has mercury. Vegetables are contaminated with e coli or salmonella. Processed food has too much salt and harmful chemicals. I had steamed asparagus for lunch, then realized how hungry I still was. Broke open a pack of high sodium Ramen noodles finished with a small candy bar. Phooey.

Super Contributor

I have to have meat for protein along with my vegetable and salad or I don't feel satisfied and begin to feel sick.

Super Contributor

I hear ya, depglass. So, the question is, what's positive for you to eat? What's your "inner wisdom" tell you?

Valued Contributor

I know too many people who don't eat red meat or carbs or fat or sugar or gluten, are exercise nuts and they die the same as anyone else. I think everyone should just do everything in moderation, live your life and die, we would all have less stress and be happier.

Super Contributor

Harpa, it wasn't that spinach was bad for everyone, but for people who had experienced kidney stones or some such thing, and shouldn't eat spinach or cranberries...I don't remember the details. Still, you can have kidney stones and not know it, right? Meanwhile, I'm just crazy for arugula and just about any kind of greens from collards to kale to lettuce.

Super Contributor

ennui, mmm, bread and butter, I'm so jellie. I can't eat bread comfortably very often. Only when I go out to eat and the bread is too fabulous to miss!

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of allergies so I have to be careful about eating too many fruits and vegetables. Everyone is an individual and has to do what is best for them.