Honored Contributor

How was your dad in the kitchen? (and Happy Fathers' Day, too!)

My dad learned to cook after retiring at age 62. He became an excellent cook and even now, at 91, he can't walk and can barely see but he still loves to help me shop and chop.

How'd your dad fare in the kitchen?

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How was your dad in the kitchen? (and Happy Fathers' Day, too!)

He sat down in the kitchen to eat!

Honored Contributor

LOL, my dad could not even re-heat anything!

the best he could do is make his own tea OR get something cold to eat out of the refrigerator.

he worked very hard his entire life up until the day he died and there was no time to learn about anything in the kitchen.

may everyone have a wonderful father's day.....either with your own father, another father, a son or son-in-law who is a father, or just remembering your father if he is no longer with you!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

My dad as well as my husband cook nothing.

Honored Contributor

My dad did a lot of the cooking in our house. He's now 82 and still does. He's a great cook. We were dirt poor and he knew how to make 1/2 pound hamburger feed us all -- 7 kids and Mom, and sometimes his mom. Mom and Dad live a little more comfortably now, content, and I'm thrilled to still have them. My best friends.

In fact, this is the first year in all of my 60 years that he isn't able to make my birthday cake. It's homemade, all from scratch....3 layers of incredible chocolate cake and fudge frosting that makes your toes curl. But I have the recipe....not sure I'll ever be able to do it like he did though. His had daddy's love in it.

Honored Contributor

My father and I were not allowed in the kitchen. Not even to take a snack or a pop from the fridge. We had to ask permission, and my ma would "consider it".................. It was her territory alone.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

He was the greatest!!!!!! Wish he were stil around sometimes when I have cooking questions ( but you guys here have been abig help too!!!!) He taught my mom to cook!
Super Contributor

Non-existent

I never saw my dad in the kitchen unless it was to dry dishes once in a while.

Respected Contributor

My Dad was a great cook. He worked from home and when my Mom went back to work when I was in HS, my Dad and I took over the cooking and cleaning.

Super Contributor

My dad liked to cook breakfast every Sunday morning, and still does. As kids, we all wished that he would stop. My mom still wishes the same. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}