Trusted Contributor

Frozen food thawing question

I have had a tv dinner and a bag of cauliflower that I put in the refrigerator for dinner, but then didn't eat it. The next day I was going to cook it in the microwave but noticed a sentence on the packages that say do not thaw. I know if I call the manufacturer they will say throw it away to save themselves getting sued. But I don't see why if it is still being cooked, that it wouldn't be safe. Has anyone done this with good results or should I bite the bullet and throw it out?

Regular Contributor

Re: Frozen food thawing question

As long as its been refrigerated I can't see that it wouldn't be safe to eat. A lot of food that is meant to be cooked from frozen has to do with the fact that if its defrosted and then cooked at high temps it will be mush before its up to temp.

Contributor

I wouldn't toss it! Many times I will thaw out my food like that. Or if appropriate put the container or pouch in a container of cold water and thaw. As long as you keep the food under that danger zone temp wise.
Honored Contributor

This food thawed inside the refrigerator, so it is fine to cook and eat.

Honored Contributor

Everybody I know brought TV dinners to work for lunch. We didn't have a freezer, so they all thawed before lunchtime. We are all still alive.

Edited to add: Don't nuke it quite as long as the label says.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

It might say that because it is more likely to end up mushy after cooking if defrosted first. It is not because the food is unsafe to eat.