Respected Contributor

Supermarket shrinkage? It's not your imagination, experts say

Supermarket shrinkage? It's not your imagination, experts say

May 19, 2014 at 7:42 AM ET

Video: Experts say top brands are downsizing products, while charging you the same price. NBC’s national investigative correspondent Jeff Rossen reports.

Have you noticed that some of your favorite brands are downsizing, giving you less and less while charging you the same price, or even more? Some experts say companies are getting sly in how they do it.

From cereal to cookies, paper towels to peanut butter, you can find it in supermarkets everywhere: Some of the most trusted brands getting smaller, the price tag not so much. "It's a very sneaky way to raise the price of a product," said consumer crusader Edgar Dworsky, who runs the website, consumerworld.com.

One tactic: the "optical illusion." Dworsky showed us two boxes of Apple Jacks side by side. Back in 2008 the product went from 11 ounces to 8.7 ounces, but from the front, the two boxes appeared the same; only when they were turned to the side did it become apparent that one was "much narrower," according to Dworsky. "That's one of the tricks of the trade," he said.

Dworsky also showed us two 8-giant-roll packs of Bounty paper towels that looked almost identical. But one had 72 sheets per roll, the other only 66 sheets per roll. "You think you're getting the same thing, but you're really losing like, two-thirds of a roll," he said.

Then there's the old "hollow the bottom" technique. "Here's Skippy peanut butter," Dworsky said. "The old one was 18 ounces, but now it's only 16.3. How did they do it? They hollowed out the bottom of the container." It looks the same, he said, but when Skippy downsized the product in 2008, they didn't drop the price.

Dworsky said "new and improved" is another common ploy. "They just downsized Chips Deluxe," he said. "Here's the new package." The words "New Look!" appeared up in one corner.

"They're diverting your attention up to the top, right-hand corner," Dworsky said. "You should be looking at the bottom corner, where you see you're getting almost two ounces less."

When we let shoppers in on the secret, one young mom said, "I feel like I'm constantly buying and buying and buying and it runs out quicker." Said another shopper: "It's frustrating beyond."

"The money's coming out of consumers' pockets and fattening the bottom line for manufacturers," Dworsky said.

Tide Plus recently downsized from 60 loads to 48 load per bottle, and the price actually went up. But the bottle looks like it's the same size. "It's called Tide Plus. I think they should rename it Tide Minus," Dworsky said.

The makers of Tide told NBC News they recently "improved the performance" of most of the Tide Plus line, which resulted in the average cost per load increasing by 13 percent. They said that "consumers are now receiving better product benefits."

The top brands also say they adjust sizes and prices to stay competitive, improve product performance and address rising production costs, and try to "minimize that impact on consumers" with better products and increased efficiencies.

So what's a supermarket shopper to do? "You have to become net weight-conscious," Dworsky said. "And if your brand downsizes, see if a competitor is still the full size and buy that instead."

Experts say these small changes, losing a few ounces here and there, can save these companies millions of dollars. Another example: Scott 1000 toilet paper. They've actually shrunk it twice since 1999. It's still 1,000 sheets per roll, but the sheets have gotten smaller, so you get less toilet paper.

It's all psychology: You're in the store and see it's still 1,000 sheets per roll — all good, you buy it. We don't notice these little changes. Scott says that even though the sheets are smaller, it's better and stronger.

Bottom line: Consumers should pay close attention to product labels, which clearly list the quantity, size, volume or weight.

Statement from Procter & Gamble (Tide and Bounty):

"For us, the consumer is boss and our simple goal is to continue to provide value to our consumers by delivering products that delight them at the right price point. While retailers set the final price the consumer pays, we do adjust our pricing to reflect such factors as improvements in product performance and/or the rising costs of raw materials, manufacturing and transportation costs. We make every effort to minimize that impact on consumers by making these changes at the same time as improvements to the product's performance and by offsetting costs by increasing the efficiencies of our own processes but some of it may need to be reflected in either the price or size of the product. In January, we improved the performance of most of our Tide Plus products and, to address potential consumer confusion on dose sizing, rationalized the sizes to a common 92 oz. bottle. That resulted in an average cost per load increase of 13% and consumers are now receiving better product benefits. Pampers is available in varying pack sizes and price points to meet the value needs of parents and the same is true of Bounty."

Statement from Kellogg's (Apple Jacks and Keebler):

"As commodity prices and other costs increase, Kellogg occasionally adjusts package sizes and wholesale prices, and we offer a range of product sizes to meet differing consumer preferences. Apple Jacks are available in package sizes ranging from 8.7 to 21.7 oz.

“Wholesale prices and package sizes across the Keebler line-up were standardized in 2011, with the price per ounce decreasing slightly on some products and increased slightly on others.”

Statement from Kimberly Clark (Scott tissue):

"As is typical, the slight decrease last year in the number of sheets per package in some of our tissue products was done in conjunction with product innovations that delivered improved performance for consumers.

By adding bulk, we developed a better, stronger sheet that allowed these products to continue to deliver outstanding performance while holding the line on price for our consumers and allowing the company to manage its costs."

You can watch a video here.

Respected Contributor

Re: Supermarket shrinkage? It's not your imagination, experts say

I noticed a long time ago. One big brand name that sells ice cream raised their prices but it's no longer a half-gallon. It looks like a half-gallon, but it's not. Many other brands are smaller but the price continues to go up. I didn't need an investigative reporter to find that out for me.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Look at how they've shrunk the size of cake mixes. This is especially concerning because all of our bakeware was designed to make standard size mixes. Who wants a 9 X 13 cake the thickness of a pancake?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It's always been this way. There must be a test market or something. A lot of people don't want to pay more. After you buy it once you have to be able to determine there's less there. I personally would prefer to pay more for some things.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

This has happened with a lot of brands. In the last year, toilet paper companies have narrowed their rolls without reducing prices too.

Respected Contributor

I looked at the TP roll in the bathroom and the core was so large, I could almost put my fist inside it. It was RIDICULOUSLY large, so I assume my usual Angel Soft had deleted about a 1/3 of the roll. Time to find a new brand--I hate playing these games.

Esteemed Contributor

I think coffee was the first to be hit....many years ago....they went from 16oz to 13oz but the price remained the same....then slowly but surely other products joined in....being an ice cream lover....I noticed that change right away....lol....

Respected Contributor

Of course it is happening as inflation creeps up on us. We will have to learn to adjust.

Respected Contributor

I experienced this with Kashi cereal.I have been buying Toasted Berry Crumble for a couple of years and put it in the same loc n loc every time.I always had a good bit that wouldn't fit in the container and used that up first. One day I opened a box and the container was about 1/4 less full and I used the whole bag. ...really Kashi?? I called and sure enough,they had reduced the size...same price! To make up,they sent me ONE coupon....for a dollar off.lol

Respected Contributor

How about sugar and flour being available in 4-lb. bags instead of the usual 5-lb?