Contributor

Has the taste of cottage cheese changed?

I don't know if it's me or if the cottage cheese has changed but I don't feel it tastes like it used to. It doesn't seem to matter what brand I get. Is it just me? What is your favorite brand?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has the taste of cottage cheese changed?

I agree with you. I think it has changed. I buy Breakstone's and that taste has remained the same. I can tolerate Giant Eagle or Daisy 4% but I usually mix some fruit in it. I also used to purchase the lower percentage of milk fat min. but now buy the 4% because of taste. Breakstone I can buy any type and be fine.

Respected Contributor

I haven't noticed a change in taste (I get the 4%, too). I have noticed, though, that the small curd, which I've always preferred, is more like large curd:think:. The cottage cheese, therefore, seems runnier.

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

The only 2 brands I like are Kroger and Broughton. I've tried others and they all taste horrible to me.

Valued Contributor

On 5/5/2014 Moonlady said:

I haven't noticed a change in taste (I get the 4%, too). I have noticed, though, that the small curd, which I've always preferred, is more like large curd:think:. The cottage cheese, therefore, seems runnier.

Valued Contributor

I use Kraft and the small curd is not small and it is runny too, it was not like this in the past . The taste doesn't seem the same either., so I do not buy as much as I have in the past.

Sorry double post, my computer is not behaving today

Super Contributor

I buy Daisy brand, small curd, 4% milkfat. I only eat 3 or 4 tablespoons for breakfast, which is enough to hold me till lunch time. I don't like any other brand because I don't like the taste and also those other brands have more ingredients than I can count. Daisy has only 3: Cultured skim milk, cream, salt.

Trusted Contributor

Is it just cottage cheese or are there other things that taste different to you? Taste issues can be caused by a number of health related issues some shorter term related to upper respiratory problems but others are more serious and last longer.

Super Contributor

No, it is not just you, the last few times I got cottage cheese, I did notice a difference, not so much in taste, but as others mentioned in the size of the curd. I used to love Knudsen Small Curd Cottage Cheese in the pink container. I tried a couple other brands Daisy and Model Dairy and did not like the taste or texture of either, it just didn't seem right. I quit buying ricotta cheese years ago, because that got changed too. Didn't matter what brand it was, they all had a gritty texture and lost that nice flavor they used to have.

tkins

Honored Contributor

I only buy Breakstone's 2% cottage cheese, it is delicious, IMO!